Thursday, February 19, 2009

Waiting for Dinner

Between our kitchen and breakfast room is a bank of lower cabinets with a counter on top, open from both sides. This is because of a near calamity involving a 9 year old in the kitchen when she was not allowed there, a pot of spaghetti sauce and, ultimately, gallons of cold water on the floor. After said incident, I demanded (and got) a hole in the wall, through which dinner could be served.

When they sense that food is nearly ready, people start lining up on the breakfast room side of the passthrough, so they can be first to select their food. Ha! Do they really think there won't be enough? Anyway, they're a group of slowpokes, because T
hor is always first in line. Sometimes he sits up, but more often he sprawls out on the floor. Somehow, his is never the first plate filled, but hope springs eternal.

On to more pressing matters. Last weekend, I offered a bread cookbook, and was stunned to have several takers. What could I do to decide? After careful consideration, I wrote all the names on large pieces of paper, arranged them in a circle on the floor where Thor always waits for the UPS man to make his afternoon pickup, and, much more importantly, to bring Thor's cookie, and told Thor to choose a name. Here's what he did:

Katherine, you have a cookbook coming your way. Email me with your address, and the guy in brown will take it away the next time he brings Thor a cookie! Buffalo, I may take you up on your offer to trade cookbooks, and everyone else, Thor's sorry he didn't choose you. In his defense, he can't read your names. He will probably make me give away another one soon. Happy Thorsday!

16 comments:

Paula said...

Yeah, Thor on Thursday! It's amazing to me how dogs are so in tune with what's going on. How sweet that he's the first in line, but not put out that he's not the first served. Love his name selection technique! Hope the boys feel better soon, and that you don't catch it!

Anonymous said...

What at sweetie! At least he waits patiently in line. I'd be tempted to serve him first. Such good manners!

buffalodick said...

In the immortal words of the Wicked Witch of the West; "I'll get you, and your big damn dog too" or something like that... Crap! I lusted after that book- and offered a fair trade! Congrats to the lucky cook who got it!

Anonymous said...

LOL now there's a Thor way to do it!

Unknown said...

I just love your Thor. I keep telling JB we have to make it that way soon cause I totally have to get a chance to love on him :) g

Anonymous said...

Okay that's funny...congrats to the winner.

Sue said...

Thor is so patient. Can I borrow him to teach patience to some of mine?

dogquilter said...

So what must Thor do to get served first? What a handsome and very talented boy he is!

Dot O said...

That is so funny! Thor, you did your job. Hope you got a good treat in return.

BTW, Thor is a handsome fellow!
Happy DoT!

Pam said...

Oh, sweet Thor. Congrats to the lucky winner!

Christo Gonzales said...

I'm glad I didnt say I wanted it..because I did but I figured the 'attack' would be on - little did I know it was up to Thors mitts!

monica said...

Doggy - too bad you didn't stand up for yourself, cause obviously you'd been chosen by Thor, from one dog to the other!
As always I love Thor :o)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am really thrilled to have won the cookbook and again, give Thor a great big hug for me and tell Brown to give him 2 cookies!

pam said...

Thor looks like it was exhausting having to pick a name!

Ann Made Studio said...

Hope your boys feel better soon!
Thor seems to have such a great "personality" :)

Bunny said...

Congratulations Kathleen!! Thor did a great job picking a winner!