Friday, May 16, 2008

Sour Cream Pound Cake


I love pound cake. I try to keep my butt away from it, to save myself from looking like the broad side of a barn, but that's another story....anyway, this was a very rich pound cake, with just a bit of zip to it. I served it with strawberries and fresh whipped cream.

From the Better Homes Cookbook c. 1989

SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.

Bring the first 4 ingredients to room temperature. Cream the butter, then add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream, then the eggs, 1 at a time, beating for a minute or so after each one. Scrape the bowl, if necessary. Next, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Pour into a 9"x5" loaf pan, and bake at 325 for 60 to 75 minutes. Dust the top with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve plain or (as I did) with fruit.

The cookbook suggests that fresh blueberries can be stirred into the batter before baking, but I didn't try it.

This photo was taken after 7 slices had been taken from the pan. I wanted a pretty picture with the strawberries and cream, but none of the kids would leave theirs alone long enough for me to photograph. Hardly surprising.

No comments: