Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween!

OK, I know my greeting's a little late. But the sentiment remains the same.

I finished the boys' costumes Thursday. To be fair, Mark's didn't require a lot of work. I had made this dragon costume 4 years ago for Ryan, and Mark wanted to wear it. Aside from needing to lengthen the legs, and make new mittens, because the original ones were too small for Mark's paws, it was ready to rumble. Just look at that tail! Who wouldn't want to be a dragon with a golden tail and horns?
Ryan wanted to be a wizard, although he had no idea of what a wizard should look like, other than blue with stars. So blue fleece came home with us last weekend, along with blue starred fabric. Ultimately, I decided on a starred tunic, with a belt in a different starred fabric, blue fleece robe with star trim, and pointy hat. Unfortunately for me, I can't just leave things alone, so while the costume had taken shape in 2 hours after I decided upon its format, I felt compelle
d to hem the neck, armholes and hem of the tunic, along with finishing all edges of the sash. I did get lazy on the hat, however, and used a witch's hat we had here. I simply dug some starry garland out of a drawer and warpped it around the hat. I thought it worked!
The boys went trick or treating with George Bush, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Joe the Plumber and a skeleton. I didn't get a picture of all of those kids with mine, but it must have been a funny sight. Their favorite house was the one where a guy had a pail of candy on his porch, and was hiding around a corner, then jumped out with a chainsaw, running (with no chain attached), and waved it at the kids, revving it. Now there's a guy who has fun on Halloween!

And because you asked, Paula, this is how tall Ryan's getting to be. Yeah, I'd need to stand on a chair to whack that boy.
Hope you all had fun last night, and that your goblins aren't collapsing from sugar overload!

9 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Marjie ... Those costumes are outstanding! I love that dragon's golden tail, and the wizard costume is perfect! Man, I wish I could channel even a portion of your talent! I'm so sorry to hear that Ryan's wrist is injured. I hope it's not the one he writes with! OH. MY. GOSH!!! I knew that boy was taller! He may end up being your tallest boy yet! Those boys are sooo handsome. Hmmm ... you know I have two beautiful daughters around their age .... Okay, okay I'll stop. :-)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love those costumes! How wonderful you make them for your children!

Anonymous said...

The guys look great! And I love the chainsaw dude ~ that's hilarious. :oD

I'm sorry to hear of Ryan's wrist. I hope he recovers quickly.

Anonymous said...

The costumes turned out great! Wow, just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

There is just nothing better than a Mom who sews, come Halloween-time! Wonderful costumes!

grace said...

you did an incredible job, marjie--i'm extremely impressed. :)

Pam said...

Awesome costumes Marjie - you are so talented. The chainsaw guy would have scared me to death!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your costumes look wonderful and knowing how multi-talented you are, I knew they would look great!

anudivya said...

Those are some really cute costumes... especially the wizard one. Cute! :)