Following the lead of The Blonde Duck, I thought I'd make a list of the things for which I'm thankful (yes, I'm such a grammar nerd I can't stand the "dangling preposition").
1. I am thankful to have found a man who has happily tolerated me for nearly 30 years, despite my often dour disposition and fiery temper, because our personalities are exactly suited to each other. He has made an unhappy person into a very happy one, and for that I give thanks every day.
2. I am thankful to have nine children who all healthy, intelligent, and good-looking to boot. How much better can life get?
3. I am thankful to have had three "gentle giants" with which to raise my children. There is nothing like a calm dog to soothe everyone's nerves, and smooth over ruffled feathers and hurt feelings. There's also nothing like the security of knowing that no one will come in your yard because there's a dog the size of a bear in that yard!
4. I am thankful that I found my Readers Digest cookbook at a tag sale for a quarter when I was 15. I'd never have known that food didn't have to come from a box, and could taste good, without it (I suppose I should be happy that I can read well, too!).
5. I'm thankful that I took that one sewing class in high school, and decided I could teach myself to sew as well as my maternal grandmother did. (And I finished my Thanksgiving dress this afternoon, so all is right in my little world!)
6. I'm thankful that my parents were so irresponsible that I became a compulsive saver, making my own life so much more comfortable.
7. I am thankful that my children are all eager to arrive home (if they haven't already) and spend time with us, and, more importantly, each other. To have raised children who have grown up to be each other's best friends is the greatest accomplishment anyone can have (just ask the parents of the lovely and talented Mrs. Prudence Pennywise how wonderful they feel!).
Also, I am grateful for you, my "invisible friends", for stopping by to visit me and enjoy my little corner of the world.
Time to stop feeling happy, chase those kids out of my kitchen and make them stop making cookies under Thor's supervision, and begin some serious cooking!