Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lemon Sherbet

It is cold here today. When I got up it was 21 degrees, and I had no heat on the first floor of my house. Talk about incentive to go back to bed and stay there! School has been postponed due to a lack of heat - if I can't concentrate at 64 degrees inside, then neither can the boys. After only 6-1/2 hours, the furnace repair man has finally arrived, and I can but hope that I won't have to freeze to death!

So, of course, in this cold environment, it's only natural that I'd want to talk about ice cream, right? I told Cidell last week that I'd be trying an ice cream that required cooking soon, and here's my first effort. This is the reason that I wanted an ice cream maker in the first place. My dearly beloved simply adores lemon sherbet, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere for him in about 3 years. I found this recipe nearly two years ago, and have held onto it for all this time, knowing that some day I'd convince him that an ice cream maker was not stupid, and be able to create something he dearly loves.

LEMON SHERBET

1/2 cup cold water
1 packet unflavored gelatin (0.25 ounce)
1-1/2 cups warm milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups cold milk

3/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp fine lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 drops yellow food coloring

Sprinkle the gelatin on the cold water and let it rest to soften.

Heat the warm milk in a saucepan until bubbles form around the sides, b
ut do not boil (or, be like me, and microwave it; it worked for me). Whisk in the sugar and salt until combined. Remove from the heat, whisk in the gelatin mix, and let it sit for 5 minutes to cool somewhat. Put the warm mixture in the blender or food processor, and add the remaining ingredients, blending until smooth. Note that I couldn't fit all of the balance of the milk in the blender, so I simply whisked the blended mix into the balance of the milk, and it worked fine. Return the mix to a large container, and place in the refrigerator until cold, about 2 hours (it can be stored for up to 2 days). Pour into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.

My husband found this a little bit tart the first time around, so I made it again with 1-1/4 cups sugar, and he pronounced it "perfect!" I do believe I need a second Pampered Chef 2 quart batter bowl thingy, so I can keep lemon sherbet in the house, and still make other kinds of ice cream!

Edited to add: We finally got the heat back on at 5:30 PM. Only 10 hours that I know of without heat. Fortunately, since my house was constructed in 1928, the walls are 12" to 18" thick, and very well insulated, so it only got to 64 degrees inside. I still was not pleased. My toes are beginning to thaw out, and you can bet I'm roasting a chicken tonight! Also bread and dessert. One oven has already been running, and the second is about to start. Happy winter, everyone!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You know that Chan sells Pampered Chef, right?

That looks good. I love lemons! and Lemon Sherbert - I was trying to talk JB into a kitchenaide mixer last night. Linens & Things are closing and they are only 20% - that's still too rich. g

Breezy Point Mom said...

Uh... and where do you live? My house was 66 degrees (without heat on) this morning here in FLORIDA. I think it was about 40 outside. Is there a message here?

Maybe it is that your house is better insulated than mine is?

Well, I've had about all I can stand of the global warming phenomenon. Ice cream is the last thing on my Florida mind. I've been doing nothing but buying warm underwear, sweaters, and hot chocolate. What else can I do - get mittens next?

Paula said...

Oh now that just looks so good it may cure my lemon craving I have had all week!
I am going to make this on Saturday.

P.S. Thor is all set up for tomorrows Doggie Spotlight on DoT.
:)

Paula said...

Brrr ... you are brave to make sherbet on a day where there is a windchill factor inside. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but still! Is your hubby one of these guys that is always warm? My hubby is like that. We'll have to ask Linda at Just another day on the prairie if she's turned on the furnace at her house yet! Regarding your sherbet, all of my family members love sherbet (which for some reason I always called sher-bert), and they once again want to come live with you!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh dear! I couldn't have lasted without heat in weather that cold! I feel bad it was 76 degrees here. :(

Linda said...

Yum! I love sherbet! Cold temps not so much but I'm used to them.

Anonymous said...

No heat and making ice cream...perfect. I love lemon sherbert too and I am sure your hubby was ecstatic you made it again. Warm up!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I don't like it below 70 and when I left for work yesterday it was 19degrees!

I love lemon sherbert too and yours looks so creamy and wonderful, my mouth is watering. Maybe I can convince Santa to bring me an ice cream maker

grace said...

i'm glad you survived. i would've given up after about 20 minutes and gone to sit in my car. :)

Tina. said...

Loved the photos! Happy DOT!

Pam said...

Oh Thor. Can I borrow him sometimes? He could sleep at the foot of my bed and I would give him lots of scraps? Let me know.

The lemon sherbet looks fantastic...like your husband, it's one of my favorites. I usually get lemon sherbet and raspberry sherbet and have a bit of each in a bowl - it's pure bliss.

Glad your heat is back on!

test it comm said...

The lemon sherbet sounds so good!