Monday, November 17, 2008

Kisses, Kisses, Kisses

While reading my "new" James Beard cookbook last week, I happened upon a recipe for meringue kisses. Well, I have at least three meringue fanatics in my household, so these had to be the right thing to make. Beyond that, how can you go wrong with a five minute, five ingredient recipe?

KISSES

3 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
pinch salt

1 tbsp vanilla, rum or brandy extract (I used half vanilla & half almond extract)

Beat the whites with the cream of tartar until they form soft peaks. Add the salt, then the extract, then beat in the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms stiff peaks. Drop by the spoonful onto greased cookie sheets, and bake at 275 for 20 to 22 minutes, until very lightly browned. Makes about 3 dozen.
My guys were laughing about the fact that meringue "explodes" when you bite it; I'm not sure that the explosions weren't just as much fun as the cookies. I think I got 3. Next time, I do believe I'll have to make more!

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

All I could think of was that Aaron Tippen song "Kiss This!" Yum!

Paula said...

My eyes are playing tricks on me today! When I first read this, I thought you said you had at least three kisses fanatics in your household. That brought out a huge smile on my face! I haven't had a meringue in a long time. I love that you used almond, too. It's one of my most favorite flavors! The meringue's are beautiful by the way!

Christo Gonzales said...

these are such a great idea....

Unknown said...

Those look yummy! I seriously dislike all the baking you do and the willpower you have to avoid it. g

Anonymous said...

Those look really yummy!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful and delightful I'm sure!

Darius T. Williams said...

Yup - looks good!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I've never had a meringue cookie before...I want one. Now. Please?

The Blonde Duck said...

Marjie,

I'm not sad at all! I'm liberated! I've got a long story to e-mail you that will explain things better....

Paula said...

Hey Marjie ... I just saw a weather map and it looks like the frosty weather has settled upon you. Hope you and the boys are keeping warm! I bet that your oven is turned on and something wonderful is baking and heating up the kitchen! :-) (It's drizzling here. I need a container for my joy.)

pam said...

I just saw a recipe for something similar that included dried cherries and chocolate. I've never tried meringues, they look good!