Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Baby's 9th Birthday

Yesterday was Mark's 9th birthday. For nearly a quarter of a century, I've had little kids around the house, and now my baby is 9. This is really hard for me to believe. Where did the time go? Recently, when we were discussing the fact that Mark's birthday was coming, Ryan piped up and offered that he remembered when Mark was born (Ryan was 3). He said he was really excited when Daddy told him that they were going to see Mommy and his new baby brother in the hospital, and really disappointed when they got there. "Where's the brother, and why is everyone so excited about this howling pink thing?" Great perspective, but I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed and we kept the howling pink thing.

Because Mark's birthday was a Wednesday, no one came home to celebrate. Everyone did call him, however, and many of his older brothers and sisters sent him presents. I'm so proud that they think so highly of each other that they put forth such effort. In honor of Mark being a dragon for Halloween, I put a dragon on his cake, which you really can't see here.

And what party would be complete without Thor in his birthday hat?
His head's way too big, and the elastic broke going around him, but he sat still (sort of) for the picture, anyway.
Happy Birthday to my baby, happy Dogs on Thursday to the rest of the world, and now I simply must finish Ryan's wizard costume. Nothing like the last minute crush to inspire one, is there?

12 comments:

Claire S. said...

It's so nice that the older siblings thought of Mark on his birthday. That they took the time to call him and send a gift says alot.

Happy Birthday Mark !

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Thanks for sharing Ryan's birthday. Happy Birthday Ryan. Thir looks so cute with the party hat. Margie you have such a beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! The time does slip away so fast!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to the Baby! It's hard as they grow up - no? Just wait until he's 21!

Love the picture of Thor, he looks like he's hunkering down to throw the hat off.

And you look Fab! I wanna look that good at your age. (By the way - do you boys have eyes?) g

Peter M said...

Happy B-day Mark and Marjie...when he gets to be 13...no more baby ok?

He'll be quasi-dude/man and "baby" will embarrass him! lol

Paula said...

Oh happy Birthday!

Thor is really adorable in his party hat!

Paula said...

What a fine looking birthday! I love the poster, especially the pumpkin with the eye patch! Looks like he had a wonderful day! Only one more year until double digits!

Debbie said...

My youngest is also 9. I have two older sons that are 24 and 21. I feel like I have been raising boys forever! The time does go very fast and I can remember as if it were yesterday when they were all born. Hey, I love your dog! Soooo cute.........

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mark! :oD

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Mark.....and a belated one to you too, Marjie! They do grow up too fast...

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy birthday! Poor Thor. He needs a hat for his lobster so we can be twinkies!

Pam said...

It's great the older siblings remebered their brother. You've done a great job raising your kids! Happy b-day to your Mark.