Monday, November 10, 2008

7th Grade Math Lesson 50: Algebra & Ice Cream

Today, students, we are learning how to convert simple statements in single variable and multi variable equations. Let us begin here: Let R stand for oranges and L stand for lemons. The sum of 2R + 2L = ? Yes, citrus fruit salad. 2R + 2L + C + M + S = ? Surprise! Math class begins with Ice Cream! Science class is included at no extra charge, along with review of basic measurements. No, conversion to metric system isn't in today's lesson plan.

I found this recipe in my "new" Fanny Farmer cookbook. Knowing that the boys were itching to try out my birthday ice cream bowl, and further knowing that they are just little kids (despite Ryan towering over me), it had to be a "no cook" recipe. Everyone loves orange, so what could be better? I tried the recipe as written, but it didn't have enough orange flavor for us, so I changed it a bit (aw, come on, aren't you even a tiny bit surprised?), and now the troops want more. This can be done with the ice cream maker, or by hand the way we did Prudence Pennywise's strawberry ice cream this summer, with a lot of stirring. Paula, put those kids to work! You know they want this!

ORANGE ICE CREAM

1 cup heavy cream
3 cups milk
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
juice of 2 lemons (1/4 cup or so)

Whisk the sugar into the cream, then add the milk and salt. Whisk in the orange juice concentrate and lemon juice, then pour into the ice cream freezer and let it do its thing. More properly put, "process according to manufacturer's directions." The mixture may look curdled when you begin freezing, but don't worry. It all works out.

Look how happy these boys were with their math/science proj
ect. (Actually, they weren't happy being made to have their picture taken before eating.) Makes you kinda wish you'd been homeschooled, too, doesn't it?

Edited to add: Of course, Peter's right, and I can't let a spelling error stand. It would drive me nuts! So my title is now correct.

8 comments:

Peter M said...

Oh Marjie...look at your title...you rushed through spelling class...grede 7? lol

I think I should also get a scoop of ice cream, no?

pam said...

Marjie, sounds yummy! Don't you love your ice cream attachment!

Paula said...

How about we just come over and devour, I mean share yours!! :-) You are sooo good about getting those kids involved hands-on. My kids LOVE dreamsicles and orange sherbet, so I'm sure they'd love this. YUM! PS: We're on the same Calvert lesson! He really liked the science lesson today.

Pam said...

What a fun math lesson for you and your kids. The ice cream sounds perfect.

Darius T. Williams said...

I never was all that great in math - lol - but i bet that ice cream was great!

-DTW
[www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com]

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Homeschooling rocks especially if ice cream is involved ;-)

I am asking Santa for the ice cream attachment.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Homeschooling often involves ice cream, cookies, MnMs, and the occasional cake. :oD We're considering Egg Nog ice cream at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT's the way to have a math lesson! Sounds deliciously fun! I think I wouln't be smiling too much either if I had to wait for my ice cream =O)