Friday, November 21, 2008

Butternut Squash & Squash Bread

If you like pumpkin pie, this is the way to claim you're eating your veggies and have the flavor you love! I made this to go with chicken last night - after flu shots, we needed something simple - and there was very little left.

MASHED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

1 butternut squash
1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
liberal amounts of cinnamon

Peel and cut the squash and boil it until it's fork tender (I don't remember ho
w long that took). Drain, return to the pan and add the butter and milk. Mash with a potato masher or a hand mixer at low speed, then add the brown sugar and cinnamon and stir in. It really does taste like pumpkin pie without the pesky crust!
This morning, there was just this small bowl of squash left over. Should I microwave it and eat it? Hmmm. Wait, there was Duckie telling me about her pumpkin bread. What an idea! So I created a recipe based on a conglomerate of nut bread recipes swirling around in my brain and cookbooks. This is really moist; try to share with your family (although it's hard)!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH BREAD

2 cups flour

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash ginger
1 cup (or so) mashed butternut squash

1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup walnuts

Sift together flour, powder, soda and salt, and set aside. Beat the butter and brown sugar, and add the eggs. Pour in the dry ingredients and squash, and stir together, then add the milk, walnuts and spices. Stir until mixed, then pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour. My dearly beloved ate 3 slices still warm from the oven, and he would have stopped at one if it wasn't great! Trust me, he's not afraid to tell me what he thinks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks fabulous! You come up with the best recipes ever. g

Paula said...

This is my type of bread! I love this, especially with the dash of ginger and cinnamon you put into it. Does your hubby start drifting toward the kitchen when he smells this baking? I hope you got a slice or two as well. I would love to have a slice and a warm cup of tea, please! Hello to the boys!