Monday, November 3, 2008

Fish Dinner

I wanted a fast and easy dinner last night. Nothing is quite as fast as fish, and this was very easy. I think the idea came from one of Pierre Franey's cookbooks, but don't quote me on that.

FISH IN MUSTARD SAUCE

1 pound white fish fillets
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
2 scallions, chopped

1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk

Melt the butter in a skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook the fish until done, then remove it to a plate and put a pan lid over it to keep it hot. Saute the scallions in the butter in which the fish was cooked for a minute, then whisk in the cornstarch and mustard. Whisk in the milk and cream, and cook until thickened. Put the fish back in the skillet for a minute to reheat, and serve over a bed of rice.
When my husband asked what made this fish sauce taste so good, my little guy piped up that Mommy had put "grey pop-on" in it. I didn't correct his mispronunciation, thinking that telling him it's actually "grey poop-on" would cause gales of laughter among the 9 to 12 year old set.

12 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my gosh, that's the sauce! That's the sauce I double dipped with the chicken! This looks lovely, and I bet it tasted divine on fish. I love fish with rice, too. YUM! Hope the snow is long gone for you guys!

Christo Gonzales said...

this looks mighty tasty - I think I will try this recipe since I love fish so much

imjacobsmom said...

That is simple and easy! I know my Dad would love this. I'll have to make this for him this weekend. ~ Robyn

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! Wow, I know I would love this.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Sounds like you have another hit on your hands. I have something for you on my blog.

Peter M said...

This sounds & looks delish...mustard pairs well with fish.

pam said...

I've noticed several fish with mustard sauce recipes lately as I browse through my books, but I think I like yours the best! Luckily I have some gray poop in my fridge.

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh hooray! I needed some fish recipes too!

Anonymous said...

Good French lesson, Marjie!

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks great - especially the sauce!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

grace said...

your sauce sounds fabulous! i'm sorry to say that i detest fish, but i think it'd be great on some pork. :)

Pam said...

Yum. I've never tried a mustard sauce with fish before - great idea.