Friday, October 11, 2013

Sorta Pulled Pork

The rolls I mentioned the other day were made to go with this recipe.  I first had pulled pork at Calhoun's in Knoxville (the original location in a barn).  I found a recipe for Carolina Pulled Pork in my It's All American Food cookbook.  It said I needed a barbecue or something to smoke the pork with hickory wood chips and a crock pot, and bone-in pork shoulder.  Well, I have neither grill nor smoker, and crock pots are way too small for the kind of cooking I do.  Plus, my pork was a boneless butt.  So, being me, I didn't follow the recipe too closely; I just did what I could.

MARJIE'S SORTA PULLED PORK

1 piece of pork, about 5 or 7 pounds (or whatever you have)
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 cup water
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
Barbecue Sauce



In a stock pot, heat the oil, and cook the onion until soft.  Add the pork, brown on all sides, and add the water and all spices except the barbecue sauce.  Heat to a simmer, turn down and cook for 3 or 4 hours, until the meat is really soft.  Pour off the cooking juices into a very large measuring cup, and add ice to chill and take the fat out of the juices.  While that's chilling, shred the pork with a pair of forks, removing the fat as you go.  Return the pork to the pan, scoop the ice remnants and congealed fat from the juices. and use the pan drippings to make your favorite barbecue sauce, or add some to your favorite store-bought (which is what I did).  Heat through and serve on some wonderful rolls.

OK, it's undoubtedly not up to Big Dude Larry's standards, but my guys wolfed it down.  They were happy that there was enough for lunch the next day, too.

And look at the texture of those rolls! See what I meant when I said they were fine grained and beautiful?

Tomorrow is one of my two autumn book sales!  We'll see what treasures I can find!  Oh, wait, I can't buy any more books because I have no more storage space.  Of course. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Happy Weekending, everyone!


10 comments:

pam said...

It's definitely up to my standards!

SissySees said...

Yum! I haven't had BBQ in a couple of weeks - maybe more! Maybe tomorrow?

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious to me Marjie and I believe I'd wolf it down as well. I think it's still pulled pork - I sometimes use two forks - you just cooked yours differently.

Sue said...

That looks really good but I'd be in distress for days. Pork and I don't agree.

There's always room for more books. We have a whole room full and I still have bookcases in almost every other room.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Moms favorite
Benny & Lily

Diane said...

Interesting recipe. I would love to join you at the book sale.... my kind of thing. Enjoy Diane

Blond Duck said...

I love pulled pork! I hope you had a great weekend!

Pam said...

I think yours looks perfect the way it is and those rolls look AMAZING.

Blond Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh, I love a good pulled pork sandwich!