Friday, October 18, 2013

Pasta Party Entry #1: Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

This post is for Louise.  As the title implies, I might just do a few more pasta posts this weekend, to join in her virtual Pasta Party.It's all good fun, after all.

SPAGHETTI AND MEAT SAUCE

1 pound ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small carrot, grated
12-oz can tomato paste
3 cans water
28-oz can diced tomatoes
salt
oregano
basil
garlic powder, if desired
shredded mozzarella, if desired
Spaghetti, Angel Hair, or whatever you desire

Start some generously salted water to boiling in one pan, so the pasta can be cooked at the appropriate time.

In a large, pot, break up the ground beef.  Brown over medium-high heat with the onion and garlic.  When it's cooked, drain the meat, then rinse twice in cold water to remove all of the fat.  Return to the heat, stir in the tomato paste and carrot, and cook for a couple of minutes.  Stir in the cans of water, one at a time, and cook briefly after each addition.  Add the tomatoes and salt to taste, and simmer for 20 minutes or so.  Just before serving, stir in the oregano and basil, and, if needed, some garlic powder.  If you like (and my boys do), one of my daughter's Italian friends says her family puts shredded mozzarella over the pasta before putting the sauce over it, so it melts in and creates a gooey, delicious concoction.

Dave the Italian substitute UPS driver says that you can reserve some of the pasta cooking water, and then pour it back over the pasta to prevent it from sticking before you serve it.  Of course, he also says his father takes 8 hours every Sunday to make "gravy" (because this is not sauce in the world according to Dave), so he probably knows something about pasta.

Happy Friday, everyone!

10 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

We've had some great Italian lately here... ground moose meat, sauce & spaghetti squash a couple weeks ago and ground turkey, sauce & shells this week. Yum!

SissySees said...

My recipe is similar, but I love the UPS chef advice!

~~louise~~ said...

Awe gee, thank you Marjie. Since it's for me, does that mean I don't have to share, lol...?

I find it very interesting that you rinse the meat. That's probably a good idea. it sounds like this sauce "whips" up quickly. I LOVE those kinds of recipes. In my cooking days, I use to cook the sauce for two days. (yes in our house we called it sauce but some Italians do call it gravy) I'm making manicotti for Thanksgiving for company so I will probably make a two day sauce stick it in the freezer and then re-cook it when I assemble the manicotti.

Dave the UPS guy is right about the water. Another idea is to put ricotta on top of the spaghetti before ladling the sauce. YUMMY!

Thank you so much for joining the Pasta Party Marjie. I can only imagine what your next delicious dish will be.

P.S. I suppose we could use some Italian Bread at the party too, hint, hint:)

~~louise~~ said...

Whoops, I almost forgot. Your number for the give-away is #17. Good Luck! and have a GREAT weekend! I'm going to a Punkin Chunkin' event, wish me luck, lol...

Two French Bulldogs said...

You make everything look terrific
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

Rob could eat pasta every day. I'll pass along your recipe.

Big Dude said...

That looks delicious Marjie, especially for these cool nights.

pam said...

I've got a pasta recipe coming up on Monday, getting one in right under the wire!

Blond Duck said...

I've been craving this!

Pam said...

My kind of comfort food! It looks tasty to me.