Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Garden Tuesday: Pine Needles

Did you know that a pine tree drops about 1/3 of its needles every year?  That's what creates the wonderful piles of brown needles in the woods, and yet the trees are evergreen.  It's one of nature's wonders.

So, yesterday morning, I got up to find that the wind smelled like a hurricane: warm, damp, noisy; and it had taken down most of the needles which will fall this year, all in one fell swoop.



Aren't they pretty, close up?  I loved pine needles as a child.  They are just a fun place to play.  And if you can gather enough to pile together, they make a cozy chair.

Happy Garden Tuesday, everyone!

8 comments:

Big Dude said...

I didn't know they drop that many - but do know they make good mulch for my acid loving blueberries.

Blond Duck said...

We had pine trees and I remember those stupid things getting stuck in my socks!

pam said...

I love pine needles too, they always remind me of magical places in the woods. I had quite the imagination as a child and all woods were magical :)

Two French Bulldogs said...

We like those things too except they pinch us if we walk on them
Snorts
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

Very pretty, and they smell soooo good.

Pam said...

I have a bunch in my yard right now. They make a great cushion for my kids when they fall out of the tree. ;-)

Great photos Marjie!

SissySees said...

Interesting. I didn't know how many were dropped, or how often! We don't have any pine trees in The Woods. Oh, there are plenty around, but not on our property. We had too many problems with blights and pine beetles and such...

Dexter said...

I'm not surprised. It did kind of seem like one day there was nothing and the next I couldn't see my grass anymore.

Mango Momma