Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Worcestershire Rice

All those wonderful seasonings, and not enough time to use them! Of course, I'm referring to my haul from Spice Barn again.

As a side dish to some of those wonderful filet mignons, I decided to make a nice rice dish. Yes, some of my dining companions would have preferred pasta. But they have permission to decide what we're eating when they become competent cooks. Not likely soon! Anyway, this was easy and good. Again, I'm cutting it down to "normal family size." I recognize that not everyone starts with 5 pound of meat and 3 cups of rice and goes from there.
(This picture is a little dull because the steam from the pot clouded my camera lens; sorry!)

WORCESTERSHIRE RICE

1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 beef boullion cube
1 tbsp worcestershire powder
1 tsp paprika
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 cup dried vegetables

In the appropriate sized pan, place your rice, bouillion cube, worcestershire powder and paprika; add the water. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the dried vegetables; cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and let it cook until done. Serve with roast beef or steak. Very flavorful!
Yes, this is a typical weeknight dinner for us: meat, starch, two veggies, one of which must be green. There's almost always bread, too, but that goes to the table in its basket.

Thor will see you all tomorrow!

13 comments:

Kapitein Haakje said...

hmmmmmmm that looks yummy
we so gonna make that says sanne


kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

noble pig said...

I think this sounds like the perfect side for steak with lots of flavor!!

Anonymous said...

I love rice but I've sworn off of the white stuff for at least a month:(

buffalodick said...

That is one fine looking plate of food! Flavoring rice is easy and rewarding!

George Gaston said...

Marjie, what a fabulous dinner! I need to get some of that Worcestershire powder, looks like it is packed with great spices. Many thanks and I can't wait to see what is for dinner, tonight...

Paula said...

Mmmm ... love it. Love all of it, actually!

pam said...

Well, you know, rice is my side-dish of choice!!

SissySees said...

I'm *SO* having this the next night when the non-rice eater AND Worcestershire hater is out of the house...

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben wants to come over for dinner.

Pam said...

I love that you do two veggies. I usually do a meat, stach and veggie. I wish I made homemade bread daily but yeast still scares me to death.

Sarah said...

A nice simple recipe. I like simplicity. And it is the best way to stay on a healthy tract.

grace said...

worcestershire (does anyone really truly know how that's supposed to be pronounced??) sauce has a unique and wonderful flavor that adds so much to a cut of meat. using your powder in some rice is a pretty terrific idea!

Claire S. said...

oooh, that looks yummy ! DH likes veggies in his rice too & I haven't done it in awhile. Maybe tonight ?