Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Eve

Around 4 on New Year's Eve, I announced that I just didn't feel up to standing and cooking. So, Jeff, Dan and Cass set off to find things they could cook for dinner.

I had hardboiled 18 eggs, so their list started with Deviled Eggs. They brought home meatballs, breaded chicken, egg rolls and cheesecake. Evidently, it's much harder to cook premade frozen foods than I knew. Either that, or I've sabotaged my kids by making cooking look to
o easy.

I did instruct them in making Polynesian sauce for their meatballs. They used most of a restaurant sized can of pineapple. The meatballs were quite popular, needless to say.
I made a batch of Focaccia dough, and told them how to bake it after it rose. Thor was instrumental in seeing to it that this happened properly.

Then, Thor supervised Dan carefully as food was arranged on the table.

And look how pleased my cooks are with themselves! Granted, Jeff brandishing the bread knife can be a bit off-putting. But we all have trials and tribulations in our lives, right?

Happy New Year, one and all!

14 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Happy New Year to you and your family!

WOW....what a great feast they put on...your cooking abilities appears to have been passed on :))

SissySees said...

That's a rather impressive spread. Kudos to you for taking a SORELY (I'm guessing?) needed break, and to the trio of humans who stepped in. And as one who didn't learn to cook until she was working at the firehouse, cooking for no fewer that 12, often more like 20+, there *IS* an art to prepping for the masses, and I'm sure you DO make it look easy.

Thor is a wonderful supervisor. Does he give lessons? I'd love to be in the kitchen without singing, "No, Sissy. Sissy, off. Sissy, leave it. Sissy..."

Happy New Year!

Mickle in NZ said...

And not a green vegetable in sight!

Well done to Cass, Jeff and Dan for stepping in, it does look good. Any leftovers for Thor?

sending love and painfree huggles,

Michelle and the Purrball

Christo Gonzales said...

Happy New Year Marjie - you've trained them well!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Wow this looks like a real banquet! I am loving the knife wiedling chef too - I may try this trick next time I burn something ... you will eat your dinner! :-)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Thor to you and your family! Hmm...good supervising skills there, I see! And wow - what an ENORMOUS bag of cookies you got for Christmas!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Anonymous said...

Looks like you should let them take over more often;)

Happy New Year!!

pam said...

They loved stepping in and helping out! Especially with Thor supervising!

Sue said...

That looks like quite a feast. They can come cook at my house anytime.

gMarie said...

Looks like they did a fabulous job. I love that Thor supervised. Great new header photo! g

buffalodick said...

You brought them up right, dear!

monica said...

the young chefs were probably exhausted after all this cooking - and reluctant to clean up after themselves... mine would be, anyway. They're looking good! So is the food! Happy new year!!

Mini Baker said...

Just found your blog and I love it! I'll be checking back often :)
This recipe looks delish!!!
-Mini Baker

tavolini said...

hahahaha! Happy New Year, indeed! Pass the egg rolls ;)