Friday, January 8, 2010

Chocolate Dessert #13

For Sue and other fans of my chocolate dessert cookbook, here's another installment for you. This isn't actually completely chocolate, but it all disappeared pretty much instantly. Even though all 9 kids were home, that's still some accomplishment. I'll let you be the judge.

CHOCOLATE DESSERT #13:
SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE

1 stick butter
1-1/4 cups sugar

2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream the butter with sugar and eggs until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Sift together the flour, powder, soda and salt, and beat them into the mixture at low speed until combined, then at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips, turn into a greased Bundt pan, and bake at 350F for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool, then frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and chopped walnuts, if desired.

Yes, this was just as moist and rich as this picture implies!

15 comments:

SissySees said...

I bet the Knight would like that...

Jan Mader said...

Forget about watching calories after Christmas...I'm going to try this one for sure! It looks yummy!

gMarie said...

It looks like it might make a great breakfast substitute :) g

George Gaston said...

Marjie, cake is always my favorite dessert. And this one looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe...

buffalodick said...

I'm using sour cream more and more in cooking...

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben would adore it.

Pam said...

It wouldn't last long in my house either - it looks really tasty Marjie.

noble pig said...

That looks so moist it would disappear here for sure.

Christo Gonzales said...

this looks perfect for me - I like vanilla cake way more than chocolate cake and this is a little of both.

Sue said...

I think that could become a favorite for Rob.

pam said...

Another winner!

Mickle in NZ said...

Sour cream makes such luscious cake.

Next time I'm up at the Folks' place I'll locate cousin Annabelle's citrus sour cream cake recipe.

(Annabelle is a professional foodie with published books and all. Her modern 2 bedroom home has 3 ovens for recipe testing - 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the laundry!)

Nishant said...

I'm going to try this one for sure! It looks yummy!

Work from home India

grace said...

you know, some people wouldn't bother to frost this. silly folks. and hey--who says the number 13 is unlucky? :)

Dumdad said...

Hi,

Thanks for popping over to my corner of the blogosphere. Your snow scene at the top of your blog could easily apply to most of northern Europe at the moment.

Mmmm, that cake looks good!