Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Stew

Saturday night, the mercury fell, and fell, and fell, until we were left with just 4 degree temperatures. Of course, I had been warned about this, and had decided upon a nice, warming meal of some kind of soup. I really wanted stew, but had two chicken carcasses in my fridge, so they were the basis of the meal. The kids laugh at Mom for saving "scrap", but it's my kitchen, my refrigerator, and if you don't like it and are out of high school, go buy your own food. (If you're under 18, eat what I give you and at least pretend to like it.) Yes, I'm mean like that.

CHICKEN STEW


2 Chicken carcasses
Water to cover (about 6 cups)
1 tablespoon salt
2 carrots, quartered
2 onions, one quartered, one minced
2 potatoes, shredded
2 cups cooked chicken, cut up
3 sweet potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, sliced thin

2 cups frozen spinach
1 cup uncooked rice

Cook the chicken carcasses in the water with the salt, quartered onion and quartered carrots for 3 hours or so, until they fall apart. When the carcasses start to fall apart, pour through a strainer lined with cheesecloth into a clean pot. Add the shredded potatoes and minced onion, return to a boil, and simmer for an hour. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and cooke
d chicken, along with any chicken picked from the bones, and cook until the veggies are tender. Add the rice, cook for 10 minutes, add the spinach and cook another 10 minutes. You may want to add more water or salt at this point, because the chicken stew will be very thick. Serve with fresh ground black pepper.
Ryan was very enthusiastic about this stew, my dearly beloved and Mark didn't complain (which means they liked it well enough), and Patrick griped (no surprise). Served with a nice crusty French or Italian bread, it was a nice meal on a cold night.

Hope you all get some sunshine and relief from the cold today!

15 comments:

SissySees said...

I think it sounds great! And your rule is more than fair. I paint with a broader brush at the firehouse - if you think you can do better, you're welcome to cook next week. In fact, I only cook there upon request now.

gMarie said...

I think it's fabulous and for what it's worth - I always had the same rule. I never think to add sweet potatoes to soup and it's a shame - we love them. Thanks for the idea!! g

Pam said...

I'll take a large bowl of this stew please - it looks fantastic Marjie.

nazarina said...

Comforting indeed and so flavorful...give me more!

buffalodick said...

I was dinkin' around with that turkey carcass making two quarts of broth last night.. It's worth it!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll eat without complaining. I'll even twirl for you.

And about the pecan pie--you can use light or dark. The Eastren South (Georgia, Alabama, etc.) seems to go with dark while Louisana, Arkansas and Texas does light...but I've seen both. It depends.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

A very comfy meal for these frigid temps. If I had someone cooking the delicious meals for me that you cook for your family, you'd hear nothing but high praises!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Warming soups and stews are the only way to go at the moment. I did a pea and mint soup on Saturday!

pam said...

I have a huge bag of nothing but chicken carcasses in my freezer. They are like little bundles of boney gold.

noble pig said...

Oh yes the griper...I have one but this stew would warm me up any day!!

Ann Made Studio said...

Mmmmm I don't make enough of these meals and I know they'd all love a bowl here :) It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Comfort food....it's good on ANY night!

Sarah said...

I love chicken stew but haven't made it in eons. I seem to stuck on chicken soup.

Mickle in NZ said...

I would happily eat this anytime of the year, it has so many ingredients that my innards like, looks so flavoursome and filling without any stodginess. And incredibly comforting, especially when shared with family sitting around the table on a super cold night.

Do encourage Ryan's excellent taste buds and get him cooking - maybe there will be a chef in the family! I fear your dear Patrick is beyond any sort of food help.

Huggles and love, Michelle

grace said...

i was just thinking to myself as i stare out into the snow that it's definitely the ideal time for a hearty stew. this one is LOADED with veggies and goodness and color and flavor and all i can say is BRAVO. :)