Monday, January 18, 2010

Wonder Chicken

OK, to be perfectly honest, I stole this name from a local supermarket. They sell pre-cooked chickens under this name, but this was so good that I saw no reason why I couldn't swipe the nomenclature. As you can see, I cooked this last week, before everyone left for college. With 10 or 11 of us at home, two chickens is barely enough. Anyway...

WONDER CHICKEN


(Sized down, again, for normal folks)

1 Oven stuffer roaster
1 carrot, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1/4 cup olive oil

2 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tbsp finely minced onion

Clean out the chicken, salt inside the cavity lightly, and put the carrot and onion inside the cavity. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, onion and seasonings. Rub liberally over all of the surfaces of the chicken, paying special attention to the area between the bird and the legs and wings. Roast at 325F, uncovered, for the time directed on the package, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Let the chicken sit for 15 to 20 minutes before carving it. Serve with my unnamed rice from Friday, or whatever starch takes your fancy, and watch it disappear. Then the name will become obvious: "I wonder why chicken isn't always this good!"

You can save the carcass, complete with the carrot and onion stuffed inside it, to boil up for chicken broth. After all, there's little better than hot chicken soup on a cold winter day!

18 comments:

George Gaston said...

Marjie, perfectly wonderful looking roast chicken indeed. By any other name it would be just chicken. And this recipe has too many great flavors not to make it taste wonderful.

I bet the chicken broth made with these two carcass is wonderful, too.

Great post & recipe, thanks...

SissySees said...

I'm very glad I have homemade chicken soup leftovers for lunch, or I'd really be itching to scoot home and make some wonder chicken!

buffalodick said...

Roast chicken is my favorite way to have chicken- unless it's smoked..

A.Marie said...

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that I went to Spice Barn and am going to stock up on my needed spices. I can't wait to get them!

This chicken recipe sounds absolutely wonderful...I have a big old chicken in the freezer, just waiting to be cooked, and I am going to use your recipe.

After reading your post, I am now craving a hot cup of homemade chicken broth....ummmm...nothing like a steaming mug on a cold day. But first, I have to get the chicken cooked! :)

Thanks for your comment on my blog and I hope to see you again soon! You know I'll be back to visit you again...I love your blog and pictures and recipes!

http://mymoneymissiononline.blogspot.com

http://jamiealexmomma.blogspot.com

Paula said...

Those are some mighty fine lookin' birds! I bet they made the kitchen smell terrific, too, as they roasted. I adore roast chicken, and I like what you've done here with the carrot and onion. I've been so bad about saving carcasses to make broth which is so silly because I'm always making both chicken and broth. This is a good reminder for me to use everthing!

Christo Gonzales said...

I wonder how you managed with only two chickens...

gMarie said...

Reminds me of Wonder Bread - you wonder why they call it bread?

Love roast chicken, but even better is homemade chicken broth and then chicken noodle soup, chicken barley, or chicken & rice! Yum. Now I'm gonna have to find roasting chickens. g

pam said...

Lovely blend of herbs on your lovely roast chicken!

The Blonde Duck said...

I need to roast a chicken. I just feel so silly doing it for 2...

"Guppy" Honaker said...

what a heavenly chicken recipe! (PS: I LOVED the Ozzie and Harriet show.)

Keep up the good work on you blog. - David

Aloe Vera 101
Holistic Health Info.
Healthy Recipes

Sarah said...

oven stuffer roaster - I have never heard this before! Is it a local name? Nothing better than roasted chicken. My favourite and so simple.

noble pig said...

I just saw chicken that was called sticky lips chicken and I want to steal the name too...this looks yummy.

Velva said...

This looks like a wonderful roast chicken. A great comfort dish for family.

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome...I've always stuffed my roasting birds with a bread stuffing. I'll have to try this.

Thor and Jack said...

looking so good! Hope Thor got some! =)
Love your new header!
Have a nice day!

Your pal,
Thor

Mickle in NZ said...

Mmmmm, and isn't the broth made from roasted chicken bones and the left over bits and bobs so wonderful. See - this chicken recipe continues its "wonderess" ness.

Tip for Singletons like me - pop the left over bones etc.. from the chicken pieces you roast into a bag in your freezer. Once there is a decent amount use to make chicken broth. Your taste buds will love you! Okay - and your cat will drive you wacky while the broth simmers but the ersult is worth it!

Snow and ice free huggles for you, dear Marjie,

Michelle and a soundly sleeping & snoring Zebbycat (they're so lovely when they're alseep)

Lapdog Creations said...

Sounds delish!

tamilyn said...

I think I would need 3 ovens to cook for all those mouths you feed!