Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chicken Primavera

I don't know if there really is such a thing as Chicken Primavera. But last night I decided there should be. Last night I was cooking boneless, skinless chicken thighs, and, even as I started them, I had no idea what they'd end up being. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I often start out to make something and change my mind midstream. This is a recent phenomonemon, so who knows how long it will last? After all, I do like order in my little corner of the world.

Anyway, last night I decided that I wanted something colorful and bright coming out of my oven, so this is what those chicken thighs became. And since poor Thor only got a bit of angel hair and some veggies (but NOT broccoli or cauliflower), it must have been as good as I hoped.

CHICKEN PRIMAVERA IN ALFREDO SAUCE

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt
garlic powder
pepper
1/2 pound frozen broccoli spears
1/2 pound frozen cauliflower florets
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin

2 cups frozen corn
2 cups milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup parmesan
1 pound angel hair
1 stick margarine or butter

Spread the chicken pieces out in a baking pan, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper, and bake at 375F for about 30 minutes, until almost done. A few minutes before the chicken is ready, put all of the veggies in a saucepan with 1 tsp salt and about 1/2 cup water; cover and cook about half way. Remove the chicken from the oven, pour the vegetables with their cooking water over the chicken, then pour the liquid out of the baking pan back into the saucepan. Stir together the chicken and veggies, and put the pan back in the oven for a few minutes. Turn the liquid on to medium high and add 1 cup of milk. Whisk 2 tbsp cornstarch into the other cup of milk, and stir into the hot liquid. When it starts to thicken, add the parmesan, stir in well, and pour over the chicken and vegetable mix. Return the baking pan to the oven for about 10 minutes. Cook the angel hair (or the pasta of your choice), drain, cut the stick of margarine or butter into pieces, and stir it into the pasta. Serve immediately with the chicken mixture over the pasta, or, if you simply can't mix your foods, like me, put the chicken beside the pasta.
Ryan was pleased to have "interesting chicken"; my dearly beloved enjoyed this, Mark grumbled that it was "decent", and my picky eater, Patrick said nothing. Overall, that's a win for me! Plus, there was a little left for my lunch today, so double win!

17 comments:

gMarie said...

Oh looks yummy! JB made alfredo last week with cream cheese and smoked salmon. I added spinach when we had leftovers. It was very good.

I feed mine cauliflower and brocolli - just not very much or they can clear the room with their "emmissions." g

A.Marie said...

Ohhhh...yummy! I must be thinking along the same lines as you, because for supper tonight, I am making "chicken surprise." The surprise will be how it turns out!

I am using boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces, in the crockpot, and to them I added some leftover BBQ sauce (about 1 cup) that was languishing in the refrig, about 1/2 chicken broth, 1/2 jar of some kind of salsa leftover from tacos, some mushroom soup that was left from when I didn't need the whole can for a recipe (I added a little water to thin it)...let's see...what else, oh yes. Some chili powder (my men like their food HOT!), and I think that is it.

And you know what? It smells and looks DIVINE! I am making rice, also, to serve with the chicken and my mouth is watering!!

Isn't it amazing what creative ideas come from using a little bit of this and that in the fridge! :)

noble pig said...

We would ahve gobbled it up in a second. Looks beautiful with all those colors.

Paula said...

Now I know what to do with those chicken thighs in my fridge! Those colors are terrific, and I would be happy to slurp up any alfredo sauce on lingering on the plate, serving spoon, and pan! :-)

Pam said...

I think it looks fantastic - I love all the bright colors in the dish.

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't know how you cook all the time without getting more praise. I'd wilt and wuffle away.


No Pi day--brings back terrible algebra memories and hives.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I love the vibrant colors and the creamy sauce! You did a fantastic mid-stream job.

Yes, this soes happen to me - a lot!

George Gaston said...

Marjie, I think you have come up with a terrific new primavera! This looks delicious and is filled with some wonderful ingredients. A great "one-pot" dinner!

I have bookmarked this post, so next time I am stumped about what to cook; I'll follow your lead and fix Marjie Primavera with Chicken! Many thanks...

~~louise~~ said...

A touch of spring and vibrant colors, just what I needed for such a gloomy day.

When I was a kid, my mom use to tell me I was acting like a primavera when I insisted on getting my way. Which by the way wasn't very often:) I wonder what a "Thor" primavera is called, LOL.

I have one question though. How do you remember what you did when you get in these moods? Whenever I'm blank and then come up with a dish that's half way descent, I forget how I did it!!!

Thanks for sharing Marjie. I hope this phenomenon is endless!!!

grace said...

yes...this looks amazing. that creamy sauce, those healthy and colorful veggies, the wispy angel hair. i tip my hat to you, marjie!

pam said...

I always think that pasta primavera could use a little something else. I usually do bacon, but chicken would be much better for me!

Jan Mader said...

Your cooking is a work of fine art!!!!!

Mickle in NZ said...

Your brilliant "Margie Method" for cooking chicken scores again! Chicken thighs are my favourite bit of "chook" to cook with as they have some decent flavour even when skinned and boned.

My tastebuds (and even my dodgy digestive innards) would love this. And super well done on successfully hiding the leftovers so you got to enjoy them the next day.

care and huggles (guess who's snoring!) Michelle and Zeb

Kapitein Haakje said...

HHHHHMMMMMMMM chicken!!!
Sanne is so gonna make that!

kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Lapdog Creations said...

YUMMY!

Mini Baker said...

looks YUMMY! and healthy and creamy and and and... haha I could keep going on forever!

SissySees said...

Yum - substituting something else for the chicken... Sounds wonderful!