Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sauteed Squash

My farmer brought me a wonderful assortment in my "half bushel" of veggies. His mixed greens are outstanding, but I think everyone probably knows how to dump stuff in a bowl for a salad. To us, the star of the week was this beauty:
We never expected to find that as part of the "half bushel"! It was the best watermelon we've had in several years. I won't be letting anyone snag a watermelon from the supe
rmarket again real soon.

So, from the farmer's bounty, I bring you a 5 minute veggie side. Boring, but necessary, since these babies will be arriving in everyone's gardens in droves soon!

SAUTEED SQUASH

1/2 stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
20 turns of pepper
2 medium squash - zucchini or summer


Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Slice the squash thin, add to the melted butter, and add the salt and pepper. Stir constantly for the first minute, to get all pieces of squash coated with butter, then cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring about once a minute, until tender-crisp.This is a delicately flavored side, excellent with poultry!

Later in the week, you'll see what happened with the peaches; you're going to love it.

14 comments:

Pam said...

It's not boring! Simple food is the best food in my humble opinion.

Diane said...

I have squash and pumpkin in mass production in my garden at the moment! The pumpkins will keep, but the courgette (squash) will not keep as well. Also small fridge! This is another recipe I can use, but tomorrow I think I have to seriously think about making pickle. Last years was delicious and at least that way I have a means of storing it until needed. Diane

The Blonde Duck said...

I love squash. I have to make it for myself b/c Ben won't eat it!

Big Dude said...

I think you've taken something simple and made it look very good.

Christo Gonzales said...

oh how I miss the fresh from the field watermelons - I'll bet there was the right crispness and the right sweetness and the right color...

gMarie said...

I love squash - JB not so much. I usually throw some herbs d'provance (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)on it.

can't wait to see what happened to the peaches. I'm sure it was yummy - was it ice cream? g

Tatersmama said...

Boring? Nah... This looks so pretty and perfect that I might just give it a go tonight. Maybe with some ribs on the side? It's not squash season here, but the greengrocer had heaps of lovely looking stuff, and I went a bit crazy. ;)
I might even take a pic and show you how mine turns out!

Linda said...

Yes, 'tis the season to keep ones windows rolled up while in town.......that or get a front seat full of squash and around here I'm the only one that'll eat it.

buffalodick said...

Veggies fresh and simple are the best!

Anonymous said...

I, too, do not fear pepper.

Robynn's Ravings said...

We've been squashed, too, and we've been grilling which, believe it or not, I had NEVER tried and I LOVED it. We just slice 'em longways in quarters and grill 'em with a little brushed butter (salted). Loved your comments on Kelsey's post! SO TRUE!!! The lectures I've given on not getting a snowballs chance in you know where to sit on the couch manning the remote control for a career. And then I complain about her leaving. They can't win and neither can we! lol

BIG HUGS, my friend. :)

Paula said...

Hey Marjie --- Hope you are having a terrific summer. Your squash looks terrific, and I want to swipe your melon. I'm bad that way!

SissySees said...

Much like the Knight's recipe, only he uses a garlic seasoned salt...

grace said...

when you have squash coming out your ears, sometimes quick and easy is exactly what you need. i might go for 21 turns of pepper though. :)