Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Garden Tuesday: Growth and Camoflage

My tomatoes were growing splendidly as of Saturday. 18" high plants, really nice! Sunday I found all of them looking like this:
Stinkin' deer! My dentist Kevin is going to come snag a few in season, or that's the plan. I think that's a better option than the suggestion of my dearly beloved, which is that I should garden with an AK-47 to thin the herd. I think people might notice, don't you?


But my cantaloupes are doing well, as are the zucchini and summer s
quash. But I really wanted tomatoes!
Does this fabric look like camoflage to you?
It was part of my green fabric sewing spree (which immediately followed my red sewing era), and Ryan and Cass thought it did. Jeff wasn't sure, until he took a picture of me next to a poplar tree. Can you see me now?

How about now? Good.

Move over, Verizon. We're rewriting your commercials.

16 comments:

SissySees said...

Cute post and dress and you!!

Camo is quite fashionable some years... not that I follow trends enough to really know!

pam said...

Darn those deer!!

Hey you could wear that dress while hunting those darn deer!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the tomatoes, but your estate looks lovely. (And if you think deer are bad, try peacocks.)

gMarie said...

the dress is very cute and it does look a bit camo like. You can still go get tomato plants. Can you drape them with netting to keep the deer out? g

Sue said...

In the closeup I would have said no, but off in the distance it does in a way.

We had a time with deer and rabbits eating our plants in Maryland. We bought a bag of dried blood and put it around the plants and the animals left them alone. One warning though, the dogs liked eating the dried blood, then vomited it up. It left a nasty stain.

Big Dude said...

Plant eating animals are very disheartening - perhaps Thor could help you out with them.

Christo Gonzales said...

dang deer - put them in the freezer...cool dress

Pam said...

What a bummer about the deer. The new dress is very cute!

The Blonde Duck said...

You're hiding!!

Lapdog Creations said...

LOL..... cute!

buffalodick said...

You would be popular in our deer camp!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Marjie, I'm so sorry to hear about your tomatoes. How frustrating! I remember reading once to stop deer from eating your tomatoes or any other veggie for that matter, is to spray the plants with hot pepper liquid. You can dilute Tabasco or something similar or, you can make your own. I've used this remedy effectively before but thankfully, not on deer. I'm only growing one plant this year but I would be more than happy to trade you a lope for a tomato!

Cute dress and you! I was so tempted to post a picture of me next to my Mammoth Sunflower and I chickened out just thinking about how fabulous you look!!!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. If you get a chance, drop by my blog tomorrow. I'm "showing off" a few of my flowers instead:)

Ann Flowers said...

Nice blog and very nice dress. keep on sharing.

Mickle in NZ said...

Pesky darn deer - not something we face here. Your dress fabric is beautiful; you look like a wood nymph!

Mickle in NZ said...

p.s. - any of the "camo fabric" left? Maybe you could drape any new tomato plants with it?

Crop 3 from the cives is doing well, sending care and huggles, Michelle and Zebby, xxx from M and happy face washing feelings from Z

Linda said...

Robiness Hood....you just need the cap and a bow and arrow;)