Friday, July 16, 2010

Happy Peach Ice Cream Day!

Actually, Peach Ice Cream Day is tomorrow, so you all have time to join in the celebration. Louise, thanks for that joyous little tidbit. I never find myself celebrating things at the right time, so this was a lucky break!

In my farmer's shipment, I received a good dozen of the most glorious, sweet smelling, tender peaches you can imagine, and I knew they needed to be something special. I hadn't even found Louise's post about Peach Ice Cream Day (although I knew that July was Ice Cream Month, quite appropriately, I might add), but I thought this was something I could dig my spoon into. So, with minimal fuss, try....

PEACHES & CREAM ICE CREAM

6 peaches, about 2 pounds, cut into chunks, stones removed

1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups cream

Place the peach chunks into the food processor and whirl until they're very finely chopped. Technically, I think you might be required to take the skin off, but I thought that since I'd washed them, I saw no reason not to add some healthful fiber to my ice cream. No one noticed.
Sorry, I digress. After you've pulverized the peaches for a while, sprinkle on the 1/4 cup sugar, whirl a little longer to get the sugar and peaches blended, and let the mix sit for about an hour. (While the hour passes, eat a couple of the extra peaches you bought. You know you want to. I did.) After the time has elapsed, whisk the remaining sugar into the milk, combining well. Whisk in the vanilla and cream, then gently stir in the peach mixture, and process in your ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, put the mixture in a nice round bowl, put it in the freezer for about an hour, take out and stir with a whisk to break up the ice crystals, and return to the freezer. Do this again about an hour thereafter, then reduce the time between stirrings to 30 minutes. It will take about 4 hours, but you will get to sample your ice cream as it freezes to be certain it's behaving properly. I've been told cooking calories (which would include freezing calories) don't count against your diet. Honest.

My daughter's friend came for dinner last night, and was amazed to find the homemade ice cream in the freezer. Of course, I fed her some, since she said she'd never had any. She loved this. So did everyone else, including my infamous picky eaters.

So, you need to get yourself some Peach Ice Cream ingredients, so you can join in the celebration tomorrow! Have a Peachy weekend!

23 comments:

SissySees said...

My mouth is watering. One of the guys at the firehouse made homemade strawberry ice cream last weekend. He happens to have crew tomorrow night... I can hope, and stop by!

buffalodick said...

I have never made ice cream...

Diane said...

Perfect for today's weather. Diane

Sue said...

My grandmother used to make peach ice cream and banana ice cream. I haven't had homemade ice cream in years.

I knew the 18th was ice cream day, but a whole month of ice cream sounds a lot better to me.

Big Dude said...

I think one of the best uses for a peach is to turn it into homemade ice cream and yours looks so good and refreshing.

Christo Gonzales said...

well hot dog on a stick - HAPPY PEACH ICE CREAM DAY to you too - have I told you this is my favorite?

Pam said...

Peach is one of my favorite flavors of ice cream. This looks creamy and so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. It's so hot out this way, I've been living on fresh peaches and pickled herring. Anything else is too heavy.

Kapitein Haakje said...

ooooh yum!!


Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

gMarie said...

I knew! I knew what it was. Guess I'll have to buy some. g

The Blonde Duck said...

I love ice cream day!

Linda said...

The husband would like this one..I'll have to wait for some B.C. peaches though. Me I'm a vanilla kind of girl....or coffee....with peanut butter.

~~louise~~ said...

Wowza!!! Peach Ice Cream! I mean really, Marjie, is there anything you can't do??? Your ice cream looks so creamy and refreshing. I really need some to go on top of the Peach Pie I just this minute took out of the oven. And, you want to know the most ironic thing, I'm staring at my verification word and it is...lickle. I kid you not!

Thank you so much for sharing...Happy Peach Ice Cream Day to you and yours and ME!!! (I may post my peach pie on Sunday, you know me and pictures:)

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Gorgeous recipe Marjie - we have such a teeny tiny fridge and freezer at the moment I really miss making things I can freeze. THANKFULLY we have a fab icecream parlour called Fredericks a drive away so I will have to rely on buying some this weekend instead x

~~louise~~ said...

Good Morning Marjie, hope you don't mind, I tweet your post:)

Mickle in NZ said...

Marjie, you've definately found a winner with your milkman. The farmer's fruit and vege all look so good, and your ice cream has me wishing I liked peaches!

Anette said...

I wish I could just come over every now and then for some ice cream! You are the Icemaster!

Sherri said...

Oh that looks so yummy and I love peach anything, but sadly I'm lactose intolerant :(

dining tables said...

This day is what I've been waiting for. What I love the most in this day is the variety of flavors of ice creams. Like this Peach Ice Cream. This is something new to me.

Lapdog Creations said...

I really need to get our ice cream maker out of the box and USE it!

grace said...

oh marjie, this is LOVELY ice cream! i love the jewels of demolished peaches scattered throughout! boy, what i'd give for a scoop of that to melt its way through a waffle cone and right down my arm. :)

Lydia said...

I made the peach ice cream Sunday afternoon. We ate some of the fresh Sunday evening, but the rest went into the freezer and we just had dishes of it a bit ago. I got carried away w/peaches. My ice cream maker makes just one quart (one of the counter top freezers), so I have peach mixture to freeze for this winter. Absolutely sinfully good! Next...strawberry.

YankeeSoaper said...

Hi--found you by way of Louise and am I ever glad to have clicked on her link. Your peaches n' cream ice look looks scrumptious!! I'm picking up my fresh peach order in the morning at farmers market. I can't wait to get home and try your recipe! Thx so much for sharing it.