Friday, July 9, 2010

Light Chicken Stir Fry

With much of my hungry horde at a friend's lake cottage for part of the holiday week, I decided last night that a light dinner which wouldn't heat up the kitchen was in order. This really didn't take much time, and while not as easy a cleanup as the packets, it didn't generate much heat - a bonus during this nasty heat wave.

LIGHT CHICKEN STIR FRY

3 pounds boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
1 onion, minced

small amount of salt (about 1/2 tsp)
2 cups broccoli florets, cut small
2 cups tomatoes, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 cups fresh or canned pineapple, cut in 1" chunks
1/2 cup cold water whisked with 1 tbsp cornstarch

1 cup chicken broth
Brush your pan with a small amount of oil, if desired. Over medium-high heat, cook the chicken with the onion and salt, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. (Start your rice while the chicken is cooking) Add the broccoli, and cook another 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and cornstarch, and cook 1 minute. Lower the heat, add the tomatoes, pineapple and chives, and cook about 2 minutes, until the pineapple is heated through, and the sauce thickens slightly. Serve with white rice. Serves 6 or so (hey, my guys are always hungry).
Happy weekend, everyone!

13 comments:

Diane said...

Simple and easy, what is more I am sure very healthy and tasty. Diane

Kapitein Haakje said...

you can cook
we think you need a own cooking show :D


Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

gMarie said...

that looks yummy. I love a saucy dish served with rice. g

Mickle in NZ said...

Simple and quick, with lovely fresh flavours. Just right for a heatwave.

We've the opposite with an overnight temp of zero centigrade and frosts forecast - the price of cold yet sunny winter days.

buffalodick said...

Looks bright and tasty!

SissySees said...

I should do stir-fry at home again. Next week is a busy week for us, so maybe...

Linda said...

Looks good AND healthy. I'd far rather rice than potatoes...if only I could convince someone else.

dining table said...

I am getting hungry right now. That light chicken stir fry is one of the best dishes that my mom can cook. It is our family favorite dish.

Pam said...

Mmm. Light and delicious - it looks really good Marjie.

grace said...

this definitely qualifies as a light dish, perfect for an oppressively hot evening meal. the chives are a great touch!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm all over this. Ben loves stir-fry and I can't eat as much fried as I used to. (Sigh. Stupid tummy issues.)

~~louise~~ said...

Quick, easy and tasty...Perfect for this nasty heat.

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Hope all is well Marjie Ive missed you this week. This looks delish -I love chicken stir fry and curries - if only I hadn't married a VEGETARIAN!! Licks and wags to Thor from Alfie - we are off to Puppy Playgroup tonight which should be an experience :-) xxx