Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thorsday: A Retrospective

This is Thor's surprise for all of you. Sorry, it's not cake and ice cream, because we couldn't figure out how to stuff it through your monitors.

In about 2 weeks, on May 5, Thor will turn 9. Those of us who love Mastiffs will tell you this is nearly unheard of. To celebrate, Thor thought you'd all like a look back at his life with us.

These first two pictures were emailed to us from the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm the week before he came home with us.
He didn't sit on the furniture for long.
At 13 weeks old, he's a pretty big boy already.
And of course we celebrated his first birthday in style. It's the only time he ever wore the traditional, paper cone type hat.
Thor joined cookie baking, 4th of July celebrations, and daily life.



He saw people off to school, helped supervise new drivers, and played fireman when necessary.


Thor turned 2. He celebrated Easters, even when he got no chocolate bunnies (which was every Easter).

Thor looked dignified on his third birthday. Other times, he just looked goofy.

He romped in the snow with the best of them, pouncing on Dan when the sledding got too rambunctious.
Halloweens and Christmases came and went.

Thor's been involved in it all.

This was puppyhood through age 4-1/2. Next week, the Thor retrospective continues. I hope you all enjoyed this journey back in time with Thor.

18 comments:

Dexter said...

THor! Your birthday is almost the same as mine! I hope that I get to be nine years old someday just like you!

I loved seeing your baby and teenage self. You sure are a good looking dude.

Do I really have to wait a whole week for the next installment?

Slobbers,
Mango

Big Dude said...

He's obviously an important member of the family.

Pam said...

What a special boy! You guys are so lucky to have him.

gMarie said...

What a lovely dog. He's so very lucky to have found you - and vis-versa! happy Birthday Thor. g

Diane said...

I love him evem more after seeing these photos. I had a Great Dane who lived until he was 13 so I am sure there is still life in the 'old dog' yet. Diane

SissySees said...

What a lovely start to his look back! I'm so glad Thor is aging so well, because you know a whole bloggy world has fallen in love with him...

gemma said...

I love him! and he obviously is loved by all and vice versa. Thor is awesome. Happy Birthday!

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE the baby baby pics!

Leslie Marken said...

Love the look back. Happy Birthday, Thor!

Sue said...

Congratulations, Thor!! You were such a cute puppy and look what a handsome dude you grew into. We're glad you're our big friend.

Rachael said...

Hello! Thank you for sharing Thor's puppy-ness with the world. I too have a huge soft spot for mastiffs. We have a mastiff/lab mix, Ludo (whose 3rd birthday was just last week) and he is my heart and soul. They are such sweeties!!!!!! can't wait to see the next installment.

Lapdog Creations said...

What a wonderful Thorsday post! LOVE seeing all those adorable photos... such a cute little man turned into a gorgeous gentleman!

Rose said...

Great post on Thor's "history". You are so fortunate to have had him this long. I had two great danes. The first lived to age 5 and the second to age 8. Typical of large dogs. I went to medium size after that, but still breaks my heart to say good-bye when the time comes. I do think MaggieMae will be my last, but she is only five and a half, so hopefully I will have her around for several years yet, but I missed the first four and half years of her life since I only got her a year ago. We rescued each other as my magnet on my car says, "Who rescued who?"

Sarah said...

Great pictures. How could anyone resist the little puppy. Love the pic when he is saying good-bye to everyone in the car! What a big dog!

Paula said...

What a great photo tribute to such an important member of your family! I bet you could literally watch Thor grow when he was a puppy. You know what really got my attention? I can't believe how much Ryan resembles his older brothers when they were younger. Now that they are older, you can tell they are siblings, but they have their own look. In a couple of those photos, I would have sworn it was Ryan, but the time-line proves it wasn't! Also, oh my gosh, Mark was the cutest toddler ever!!! He's got such a darling expression on his face! The girls have been lovely their entire lives, too. Thor has an exceptional family!

monica said...

Loved it!! Thor you are amazing - and so lucky to have such a great family !! Can't wait till next week !
so cute then... and now!

Mickle in NZ said...

Oh my, I think Thor is still bigger than Mark. Thor has been a very handsome lad all his life.

Zebby and I only met 4 years ago when we were both "grown ups". Our only mutual growth since has been width-wise. Oopsie - I control the food!

Deana Sidney said...

I am so impressed. He looks amazing for 9 as a big guy.. shows what love and a good life can do. I just got my new foster girl... an 18month old Saint... how I love the big ones!!! Look forward to more Thor pics... what a special boy!