Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Colorful Cake

Some of you might have noticed the peculiar colored cake layers in one of my little guy's Easter dinner pictures. Those colors were not because he messed with his camera; they're because I messed with the cake.
COLORFUL SPRING CAKE

For each layer:

1-1/3 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar
1 box jello - pick your color/flavor
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

Beat all ingredients together at low speed until combined. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, until the jello is completely dissolved, and no visible crystals remain, and pour the batter into a round layer pan. Repeat for the second layer. Bake at 350F for 28 to 32 minutes, u
ntil the toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then frost with whipped cream.

For the easy way out, use a yellow cake mix, and make as directed. Split the batter in half, and beat one color of jello into each half of the batter. Proceed as directed above. This would even work with one of those fancy new gluten-free cake mixes, if that's necessary for your family, as it is for my friend Paula's baby or Sabina's husband. And while I whip my own cream, it's fine with me if you love cool whip and use that instead!

You can use other colors. For example, this works great for Christmas with red and green, and for 4th of July with red and blue. I suppose you could even do the red and green (for the colors of the Mexican flag) and call it Cinco de Mayo cake. See, I'm helping you find new ways to celebrate all the time! You're welcome.

14 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Pretty!

gMarie said...

Very pretty and fun. and you know that while I thank you - my hips do not!! g

Debbie Cook said...

I do NOT need ways to help me celebrate with cake. I manage excuses ... er ... reasons just fine on my own, thank you very much. LOL! Cake looks great and my hips thank you that it's there and not here.

So, I know you cook and bake. Do you also have to do all the dishes too?

SissySees said...

Neato!! I like that... I sure hope Blogger will post this.

buffalodick said...

Cool idea! Reminds me how much I like Boston creme pie..

pam said...

I need a bright cheerful cake!

Paula said...

This is brilliant! I always have jello in the house, and have a gluten free cake mix here as well. You know, I've never added jello to cake before. Years ago, I did the thing where you poke holes in the baked cake and poured on liquid jello, then refrigerated it. But this looks better. Does the cake take on the jello flavor? Is it super sweet that way, too? Oh, and we'll take real whipped cream!

Sue said...

That looks like fun for a party. I'll print this one out and stick it away for the next occasion.

That's Ron said...

yummo!

Pam said...

You are so darn creative! This cake is festive and would be great for holidays year round.

I am looking forward to trying to make lemon curd...thanks for letting me know it was so easy.

Breezy Point Mom said...

Love the colorful spring cake idea. Looks like it turned out probably just the way you intended, too.

~~louise~~ said...

The Cake Doctor has nothing on you Marjie! That cake sure does look spring like!!! I'm keeping this link for sure!!!

Thanks for sharing...

tavolini said...

LOL, I love the colorful cake :) Great picture of the blossoms, too.

Zurin said...

I have never used jello in cake. I must try. it looks moist and of course you get the wonderful colours! I always wondered how it wld turn out wth the jello...i guess i have to try one of these days. Thannx :)