Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Garden Tuesday: The Flowers are Coming!

When I looked out my window on Monday morning, the crabapple tree in which Thor's new friend, the woodpecker (thanks to all who identified him definitively for me), had been perched looked like this:
The weeping cherry tree which has been here as long as we've owned this house, and many years prior to that (perhaps since 1929) bloomed last week and is now fading.


For about 17 years, we had overgrown juniper bushes hiding the chimney end of the house. Three years ago, I had Jeffrey and Dan take a chain saw to them. We replaced them with a plum tree and a pair of weeping cherries (one two years after the other). Aren't the contrasting leaf colors wonderful?

And, in a sure sign of spring, the lawn service arrived yesterday for the first mowing of the season. No, my dearly beloved doesn't mow our lawn himself. It takes 3 guys with some serious equipment about 3-1/2 hours to do the whole place. With a regular lawn tractor, this would be a sentence to spend the whole stinkin' weekend mowing, and a redhead can't take that kind of sun.

And, while it's not terribly warm yet, Thor would like to remind everyone that summer's coming, and everyone should practice enjoying the sunshine and warm weather!

16 comments:

Paula said...

The tree blossoms are lovely, and the baby trees look like they weren't harmed by the harsh winter weather. Our yard is crying out for some dedicated work to get it in ship shape (who came up with that saying). Glad Thor has a sunny spot to relax in!

SissySees said...

Thor is so handsome...

Our lawn service hasn't come yet. If they don't show up this week, the Knight will have to call on Monday to confirm they're taking care of us next week!

Dexter said...

Thor! You sneaky devil. It isn't even Thursday!

Slobbers,
Mango

gMarie said...

Love your trees. Don't forget to have Thor issue the PSA re: sunscreen. Even some dogs use it!

My "lawn service" has been in full force for the last 8 days or so. Today he's entertaining himself inside by ripping out carpets and touching up paint. g

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Beautiful blossom trees Marjie - I love cherry blossom. I love this time of year we are just about starting to get some sunshine now and lots of things springing back to life in the garden, in fact we spewnt all day Saturday at our local garden centre and have brought a quite a few goodies home, including a fig tree which I hope will survive in our climate
:-)

buffalodick said...

Looks good! I'm letting my yard return to Nature.. sounds better than I'm a lazy slob... :)

pam said...

Thor looks like he's ready to do some gardening!

The Blonde Duck said...

Thor is just precious. And all the pink! I'd be estatic.

Sue said...

It must be beautiful around there. Isn't spring great, except for the high pollen count.

noble pig said...

I think Thor is getting tan! We have rain today of course.

Pam said...

It rained here today... AGAIN. I am ready for summer. I can't believe how much work it takes to mow your yard. I bet Thor loves roaming on your land.

Lapdog Creations said...

Pretty flowers... (ah-choo.. excuse me!) ... handsome Thor!

Kapitein Haakje said...

enjoy the sun thor-man

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

monica said...

I love your blossoming trees - this season is so nice !

Marjie - do you have any experience in ambling pace with the big dogs ? Our dog trainer made us yesterday aware of the fact that Bundy does that - and that amble pace is typical for dogs to do when they are in pain .. I haven't noticed him walking like that before - but now I am thinking maybe he always has and we just haven't notice.. we have always found that he wags a lot when walking, and now we are all worried..

Mickle in NZ said...

Such beautiful blossom trees, I love the new ones against the house.

Hope Ryan and Mark have started planning their square foot vege garden - I'm still picking zucchini and have recently planted out spinach, cauliflower and broccoli seedlings as they will still grow here over winter.

Thor is so good to test the sunshine for you all - and you're so wise to have a dog who isn't a redhead!

Huggles from me and muffled snores from the feline, Michelle and Zeb.

~~louise~~ said...

I love the dabs of colors flourishing here and there. Indeed, the flowers are coming, the flowers are coming...

Lovely trees Marjie. I haven't a tree on the entire property except for those huge pines acting as a fence. I'm working on it though:)

Thor sure does know how to sun to the fullest. He looks so content:)

I haven't found a lawn service yet but a few boys down the street did my first mow the other day. I think I may just have them do the lawn for a while. They're quite "energetic."

Happy Garden Days, Marjie!!!