Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Breakfast Wraps

On Sunday, I felt ambitious, and wanted a hearty breakfast. Naturally, since I buy eggs by the case, there were plenty of those in the house, along with leftover rare roast beef and a fridge full of the usual accompaniments. Here's what I did.
EGG AND BEEF BREAKFAST WRAPS

Per Wrap:

1 8" tortilla (I used flour)
2 to 3 eggs
1/2 tomato
1 scallion, snipped into pieces
sliced cheese (I used cheddar)

roast beef
hollandaise sauce


Make the Hollandaise sauce in advance and keep it warm while you cook the eggs. Trust me, it will work out better that way (translation: trying to rush the sauce will give you a lumpy, ugly appearance, although the flavor will still be top notch).

Lightly whisk the eggs and put in a skillet over medium heat. Lay the tortilla shell on a microwavable plate, and atop it lay, in order, the sliced cheese, the beef and a couple of slices of the tomato. Dice the rest of the tomato, and add it to the eggs, along with the scallion. While the eggs finish cooking, microwave the tortilla combination until the cheese starts to melt, 15 to 20 seconds. When the eggs are done to your liking, spread them out over the tomato on the tortilla, and spoon some Hollandaise sauce over the top. Add a bit more raw scallion, if you like; my dearly beloved wanted some, but I'll only eat them cooked. Wrap as best you can, and enjoy.
Note that these were made with 3 eggs each, and I was stuffed. My dearly beloved had two of these, and he was griping about me feeding him too much. And, confessio
n being good for the soul, I got tired of trying to pick this up and keep it neat, so I used a fork and knife.

14 comments:

SissySees said...

Looks fabulous! I'd use a knife and fork too...

gMarie said...

Looks yummy! I'd prolly leave tomatos out of the eggs. Not a fan of cooked tomatos (just adding to the list you keep in your head). :) g

Big Dude said...

That is absolutely my kind of breakfast. Looks delicious

grace said...

what a deeelicious and impromptu breakfast! this is the kind of thing i'd eat every morning if my figure could support it. :)

Ann Made Studio said...

I love these breakfast wraps...I even make them for super. Yours look delicious.

Kapitein Haakje said...

wooooooow thart a very very nice breakfast

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

~~louise~~ said...

Now I remember why I put an order in at the butcher for a beautiful roast beef!!! It's all your "fault." I even coaxed him into leaving some of the fat on. Hush, don't tell anyone but I LOVE fat left on meat!!!

So when Marion and I have leftovers, and we will, I know just what to do with it, your breakfast wraps sound perfect and they sure look good!!!

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

Paula said...

Whoa! I need a moment to recover from gasping at this recipe. Again, I say, "whoa!" This is utterly delicious. I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight snack, midday binge ... basically anytime, anywhere. L.O.V.E. I.T.!!! My husband would enjoy this as well (if he could wrestle it out of my grasp!) :-)

Diane said...

Just found your blog, it looks wonderful, I will be back. Diane

The Blonde Duck said...

Breakfast tacos? That's my kind of meal! Yum!

Pam said...

YUM! I love a good breakfast wrap and adding hollandaise sauce puts these wraps over the top!

Lapdog Creations said...

Now I'm hungry..... mmmm...

Linda said...

Sure, post this when I have only one darn egg left!

noble pig said...

I made something similar this morning, always a hit. Love those tomatoes in there!