Friday, April 9, 2010

Cheeseburger Quiche

I confess: I totally stole this idea from Cathy at Noble Pig.

Easter Sunday night, having had Easter dinner on Saturday to accomodate my college students' need to return to school, I wanted something easy to cook. I also wanted good, solid protein to counteract the Gertrude Hawk dark chocolate coconut cream eggs I'd stuffed my face with earlier. (OK, so I only ate 2. Let's not ruin a good story with details, OK?) If you don't live in eastern PA and have not luxuriated in Gertrude Hawk chocolate, you are really missing something wonderful.

Anyway, I've made this twice. The first time, I made a crust for it, like the one I made for my 6 starving people. On Easter, I skipped the crust. I just wanted protein. It worked out very well each way.
CHEESEBURGER QUICHE FOR A HORDE

1 crust (make an oil crust in the pan or buy one and fit it in the pan)
2 pounds ground beef
2 minced onions
3 minced tomatoes

1 cup sweet pickles, minced
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp mustard (I used dijon)
12 eggs
1-1/2 cups cream
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste


Brown the ground beef with the onions in a pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain well. Stir in the tomatoes and pickles, and pour half into the 11"x17" baking pan. Top with half the cheddar cheese, and spread the rest of the beef mixture in the pan. Sprinkle the parmesan over the top, then top with the remaining cheddar cheese. In a bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then beat in the mustard and stir well. Add the cream and milk, mix well, and pour over the meat and cheese in the baking pan. Bake at 350F for about an hour, until the center is set and a knife inserted in it comes out clean. Let this sit for a few minutes before serving.

Patrick ate his with salsa on top; the rest of us ate it as is. Note that Cathy's was much more elegant and complex; she added bacon and hot sauce. She also used relish instead of chopped sweet pickles. So, Cathy, thank you for the idea, and I hope you don't mind that I butchered your recipe!

16 comments:

SissySees said...

And thus, you've solved my protein element for the breakfast I'm going to do for our shed-finishers (I hope!!) tomorrow!

I'm sure it's easily transformed into a sausage quiche?

Sue said...

I love quiche and can't find it around here. I talked one restaurant manager into making it and ate it every chance I got, but now he's gone and I'll have to make it myself.

The header is so pretty. Is it cherry, peach or crabapple?

Lapdog Creations said...

You always make me hungry.... :)

Big Dude said...

Another good use of the versatile egg. It looks really good.

Paula said...

Isn't Cathy's stuff great! I like your crustless version, too, since that would go over well in my household. Can you taste the pickles and mustard? I bet they added that extra something that often makes a dish extra special. I think I'd like this both plain and with salsa. Now, if only I could have some Gertrude Hawk chocolate! :-)

buffalodick said...

I like quiche, but family is indifferent to it.. this sounds great!

Kapitein Haakje said...

that sound yummmmmmy :D
sanne loves quiche

Kissslobbbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Marjie loving your new blog banner photo - it's beautiful and got me in the Spring mood. Happy weekend my friend xxx

The Blonde Duck said...

I MUST MAKES THIS!

Pam said...

With or without crust - this is the perfect meal!

Mini Baker said...

this looks intense

pam said...

I was thinking that I don't need that much, but then I was thinking how good this would be to take to lunch at school. Every day.

Mickle in NZ said...

Mmmmm, thanks to Marjie AND Cathy (I saw her original post), and a little scaling down, I now have another easily scaled down recipe to feed myself with good and scrummy stuff. I fear that this one is also Zebby food so I'll have to share, lol.

grace said...

yeah, this is an awesome creation. there's nothing NOT to love. i wouldn't mind a hearty helping of yours or cathy's. :)
and hey--i love the new header picture!

Linda said...

I LOVE the new header!! This looks good but I'm eating out of a can tonight! I need a cook these days.

noble pig said...

Okay I finally made it over!! Oh so busy lately. I love this, it's one of those recipes you can mangle any way you like to fit the needs of your family. Good idea crustless as well. It is always kind of trippy when you eat it with the dill pickle relish...if you close your eyes it tastes just like a burger...crazy!! Glad you liked it!