Friday, April 30, 2010

Applesauce Meringue Cake

Another whole day has escaped from me, and I can't even say I was outside enjoying the sunshine. And I never even got time to decide what I should post. But then, a question of Chan's returned to my slightly addled brain, and I realized that I can tell everyone about Thor's birthday cake, so you can all make your own, and celebrate with Thor on Wednesday!

Applesauce Meringue Cake

2-1/2 cups flour

1-3/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cups applesauce (15-oz jar)
4 egg yolks
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
4 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Sift together first 9 (dry) ingredients. Add oil & applesauce; mix until moistened. Add egg yolks and beat for 2 minutes; stir in walnuts. Pour into greased & floured 13x9x2 pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Cake will not be done.

While the cake bakes, whip the egg whites until stiff, with vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar. After 35 minutes baking, take the cake out and top with meringue. Bake
another 12 to 14 minutes, until the meringue is lightly browned. Can be served warm or cold.

Obviously, this cake needs no frosting, which is why Thor gets it for his birthday. It's also incredibly moist, and keeps well for several days. Thor wants you to remember this picture from his 8th birthday, in which he assures you that this cake is delicious, and all of his 2 footed and 4 footed friends will love it!
Ryan takes the SAT as an 8th grader this weekend, and we hope for sunny skies all weekend. Have a great weekend, everyone!

15 comments:

Paula said...

Good luck to Ryan!

Diane said...

This looks lovely and moist and sounds really yummy. I can even get all those ingredients, so this is a must when Nigel comes over
Fingers crossed for Ryan. Diane
(My word verification word is 'waggiess' which I thought very apt!)

Mickle in NZ said...

Sending positive thoughts to Ryan.

What a wonderful cake recipe, I'll leave out the walnuts for Mickle innards ease. Otherwise it is great.

Too bad cats are such determined carnivores that cake just aint for them. Zebbycat and Mickle will each and together have some cooked lamb to celebrate Thor's special and very wonderful day.

Please deliver, and ask Thor's special people to also deliver, many happy and loving huggles from Michelle.

Mickle in NZ said...

oops - forgot to say that the huggles from me are for darling Thor,

xxxxxx to Marjie and Thor xxxxxx

buffalodick said...

Good sounding cake!

Pam said...

Good luck to Ryan! Thor's b-day looks and sounds delicious, what a lucky boy.

Kapitein Haakje said...

whahahahahaha thor!!!

good luck ryan!!

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Sue said...

Our mom has a recipe for apple cake that she likes a whole lot. She said she'd make one on Monday and we can all have some for our Thor's Birthday Bash on Wednesday. Then she looked up a recipe for apple dog biscuits so maybe she'll make them, too. Yumm...

Sarah said...

I don't think that Thor knows he is a dog!

Ann Made Studio said...

The cake sounds and looks delicious.

SissySees said...

I'm not sure I have that much applesauce, but I'll get some and we'll have cake for Thor on Wednesday!

Linda said...

I've never thought of using meringue as a cake topping. Looks good and I love the fact that it would stay moist longer than a day.

Lapdog Creations said...

My kids said Thor looks like a happy doggy and the cake sounds delish!

The Blonde Duck said...

Thor loves a good tasty cake!

grace said...

thor must be quite a dog to deserve a cake as marvelous as this. is it odd that he and i share the same cake tastes? :)