Friday, April 12, 2013

Perfection Waffles

This is another experiment from Mary at the Farm (see Monday).  Seriously, it's a public domain book, and free for the Kindle, so why not try some of the recipes?  While everyone loves fancy food, sometimes it's the down home comfort food that speaks most directly to us.

PERFECTION WAFFLES
(Taken exactly from the book, and not altered at all)

3-1/2 cups sour milk (1/4 cup sour cream and 3-1/4 cups milk stirred together and let to sit for 5 minutes
1/2 cup sour cream
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tbsp melted butter

OK, so the original recipe calls for beating the egg whites, combining all of the other ingredients together, stirring in the egg whites, and then cooking.  But I'm a rebel.  I just beat everything together, and it works fine.  I promise.


I made this batter a couple of days ago, and didn't tell anyone that their waffles were not the usual ones.  Only Ryan commented on the change, and he did not like these as well.  He opined that maybe they had less eggs (right on, chief; you're a real connoiseur, my boy).  I did notice that the batter didn't sell quite as quickly as my normal waffle batter.  I also noticed that it was quite thin, as you can see from the picture above, and so made a thinner waffle, even in the big Belgian Waffle Maker I use.

So, this one's not a keeper recipe.  But at least I tried, right?

Happy Weekending, everyone!

7 comments:

Pam said...

At least you tried is right! It still looks tasty to me.

Lapdog Creations said...

But all waffles are GOOD waffles, right?

SissySees said...

The Knight is VERY picky about his waffles, so ... moving right along...

pam said...

It's been so long since I've made waffles, I'd enjoy even a not-so-good one!

Sarah said...

I never make waffles. I guess it is because I have never owned a waffle iron! Looks good though.

Jan Mader said...

I'm hungry and these waffles look fabulous to me!!!!

Big Dude said...

That is a great looking waffle and I do love them but rarely eat them as the syrup I must have drives my blood sugar low.