Monday, April 15, 2013

"Cheap Sponge Cake"

Back to Mary at the farm for a variation of one of my husband's favorite desserts ever.  I can't say this is any cheaper than any other version of sponge cake I've tried, but it was good, and that's what counts.  I might very well make this again, like tonight.

CHEAP SPONGE CAKE

4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
flavoring
1/4 cup boiling water

Beat the egg whites until stiff, and set aside.  Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir together the flour, powder and salt.  Add the egg whites to the yolks, then the flour combination and any flavorings (I used 1 tbsp orange juice powder from Spice Barn, 1 tsp grated orange peel and 1/4 tsp orange extract), then gently beat in the boiling water.  Turn into a greased bundt pan, and bake at 350F for about 35 minutes.

Everyone liked this cake.  This picture is what was left the next day around noon.  Testimony enough, right?

6 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Cheap + Cake = Good.

SissySees said...

Maybe I'll go bake. The Knight was drawn back to the firehouse this afternoon. It's what we do, I suppose.

Blond Duck said...

Amen!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Perfect
Benny & Lily

Diane said...

It looks beautiful and light and I love orange flavoured cakes. Yum Yum Have a good day. Diane

Pam said...

I've never made a sponge cake before. It looks delicious & pretty.