Monday, August 22, 2011

Peach Ice Cream

We're headed into the last 2 weeks of summer. It's been a lovely summer, but gone by entirely too fast for my tastes. So, here's a little something I concocted to keep the flavors of summer around a little bit longer. I couldn't find a recipe I liked, so I put together something I thought would fill the bill.

PEACHES AND CREAM ICE CREAM

1-1/2 cups peach slices (fresh or frozen), grated
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch

1/4 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups hot milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a sauce pan. Add the peach slices, salt, cornstarch and brown sugar, and cook 5 to 10 minutes. Microwave the milk to heat it.


Beat the egg yolks for a minute. Add the 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until light. With the mixer at low speed, slowly beat in the hot milk. Combine with the peaches, and cook for another minute or 2. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract and 3/4 cup cream to the mixture. Chill for at least 3 hours, and up to 2 days, until very cold.

Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar, vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar until stiff. Set aside in the fridge until the custard base is cool. Beat the remaining cream with the remaining vanilla and sugar, and put that in the fridge as well.

When the custard base is cold, put the egg whites and cream into your ice cream maker, turn it on for a minute to combine, then add the custard and process according to your machine's directions. If you have no ice cream maker, use a whisk to stir the whipped cream and egg whites into the custard base, then put it into the freezer, stirring with the whisk every half hour or so, until the ice cream sets.
This was good, but the peach flavor still wasn't that strong. I notice this a lot with homemade ice cream, the flavor not being intense enough. I'm thinking of hunting down some peach extract and trying this again; does anyone have any ideas? I'm getting tired of the flavors never being quite strong enough. That's my gripe. But Ryan and my daughters quite loved this ice cream. So maybe it's not as bad as I think.

9 comments:

Big Dude said...

Your ice cream sounds delicious - move on back to Murvul and you'll have 6 more weeks of summer.

Mary said...

This looks good. I understand wanting a deeper flavor though. I wish I could somehow translate the awesomeness of perfectly ripe fruit into the ice cream I try to make. While delicious, it's never been quite what I was looking to achieve either.

Faye Lewis said...

Your ice cream looks so delish, especially since it's peach. That heavy cream would make me feel so bad. Drats I hate this lactose intolerance mess. I so miss ice cream too.
No, no blue lipstick for me. I just go up to look at all the extremes.

SissySees said...

I'm not a fan of peaches. The Knight is, and used to make a peach ice cream that he and Pop adored. He didn't use anything but fresh peaches...

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never been a peach person.

pam said...

That looks like a lovely way to keep summer alive.

Linda said...

I always find that peaches taste sort of "washy" in ice cream. The texture of you ice cream always looks so good.....mind is never creamy enough.

Two French Bulldogs said...

oh my goodness we love that stuff
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

My grandmother used to make peach or banana ice cream each summer. Homemade ice cream tastes so wonderful, but it seems like so much work.