Sunday, August 21, 2011

FNSI Report

Well, I finished my dress on Friday night. I used my favorite spaghetti strapped princess seamed dress, which I created from a dress I bought in Myrtle Beach many years ago. Usually, I make this dress from knits, but this voile was light weight, floaty and perfect for a summer dress. It was also much easier to work than most light weight fabrics. I used a 18" zipper in the back, which is much longer than any dresses have, or any patterns require. I simply like to be easily able to step into my dresses.

I couldn't find a photo assistant, and the Kodak with the self-timer needed a good battery charging, so all of my pictures were taken with the Pentax in the dining room mirror. The dress is lighter in color than it appears here, but you could tell that. You know I have never had a tan in my life, other than in these pictures.

I wanted a jacket to go with the dress, so it will be wearable into fall, but 2 yards of fabric was nowhere near enough. Fortunately, in my giant heap of fabric I had a black lace bought as a remnant from Wally World at least 15 years ago. It only cost one dollar, and it's really rough, stiff and nasty. Then I found a yard of a sheer fabric left from some long forgotten project; it was originally 5 yards for $10 at Scranton Fabric, according to the tag still stuck to it. With just enough voile left for the collar, this is what I created:

And this is how it works with the dress.
I didn't finish the jacket until Saturday, but I'm still counting this as a Friday night project. Not bad for a Friday night's work.

Other things are working their way through the machines, but not much is finished yet. Actually, I need to sum up nearly a while summer's work, but that's a post for another day.

13 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

you sure are talented! Very nice
Benny & Lily

Claire S. said...

VERY pretty ! What a productive FNSI.

Heidi said...

I love the dress!! Way to go.

Faye Lewis said...

Your dress is beautiful! Love the jacket.

Debbie Cook said...

Productive … and Pretty! What else can you wish for from a Friday night!

Pam said...

Another beautiful creation!

Mary said...

This is super cute. You are so talented!

Diane said...

The jacket looks good and what a brainwave. They look perfect together. Diane

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Gorgeous dress, love the jacket too! That style is very flattering to you.

So glad that Thor's tumors were benign

SissySees said...

Fabulous! Love the fabrics in the jacket. Aren't you clever?!

Breezy Point Mom said...

That's a very pretty print for you.

Anonymous said...

Tee-hee on the tan comment. I'm a paleface, too.

Linda said...

Great job.....I love the jacket!