Friday, August 26, 2011

Before the Storm

It's sunny and 75 out there. If the hurricane's coming (and they claim we'll get "at least" 3 to 6 inches of rain, up from 1 inch predicted yesterday), it'll be in and out in a hurry.

Thor's preparation for the hurricane, out on the porch, waiting:
Food preparation: Deviled eggs, sandwich rolls, soup, tuna salad. I guess this means my daughter will stay here an extra day or 2; easier to tolerate power outages here in the boonies than in downtown Philadelphia, right? Note to self: Better buy bottled water and lamp oil. Sure-fire protection against power outages.

EXCELLENT SANDWICH ROLLS

1-2/3 cups warm water
3 tsp or 6 tsp yeast
4 cups flour
6 tbsp powdered milk
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil

Put the water in your bread machine container or mixer bowl; add the remaining ingredients in the order given, and mix according to my bread tutorial directions. When the first kneading is done, or when the dough has been beaten about 10 minutes in the mixer, shut the machine off, take the dough out, and form into 16 balls, flatten them, and put on a baking sheet to rise. Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes, until the rolls reach the desired degree of brownness. Serve while warm.

I made these rolls for Sloppy Joes last Saturday night, and another batch is mixing up as I write. I'm thinking 3 batches will carry us through the weekend, power outage or not! (Did I show you all my new bread basket blanket yet? Isn't it pretty? Ryan says it's too girly, but I point out that a bread basket is girly.)

There might be some sewing this weekend, depending upon whether I can see or not - the treadle machine works without electricity, after all! While the East coast frets over the hurricane, I hope the rest of you have a wonderful weekend!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always love to see a picture of your grove. And the grove's protector.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Looks like you have good preparation going on over there. Paws crossed Hurry Cane Irene will miss you and all our relatives
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

I learned from our 12 days without power what things to keep on hand when storms threaten. Last night I shared my list with my friend Sue. I hope your power stays on, the winds are no more than breezes and the rain is just enough to give the trees a good drink.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Everybuddy, we will be thinking of you all during the big storm. Take care. No worries, and love, Stella

Pam said...

The rolls look delicious and I love the bread basket blanket. Stay safe!!!

Claire S. said...

Isn't that a rule of nature or something - the better prepared you are, the less likely the thing will happen ? I'll cross my fingers that you get off lightly. We're supposed to have a rainy Sunday and Monday but it doesn't sound like they're predicting more than that - we'll see.

Dexter said...

It was such a lovely day today. Who would think the big wind is coming? Send some of those deviled eggs here.

mango momma

~~louise~~ said...

My daughter tells me a bread machine is on her list for me this Christmas. We'll see...Funny thing is, I've had a few bread machines in my past and I gave them away. (I was trying to be a purist, lotta good that did me:) When I do bake any kind of bread, Marjie, YOU will be the first to know:)

GREAT provisions. I had better get started. Central PA is sure to get rain, again...

SissySees said...

I just informed the Knight that I fully intend to be able to go to the spa tomorrow and I'll fetch our prescriptions and more dogfood then.

No, we don't NEED any of those things to survive the next few days, no matter what Irene does, but as a wise woman I know said, "Weather happens" and I intend to go about my routine as long as possible.

Breezy Point Mom said...

Thinking about, and praying for, the MANY people I know who will be affected by this storm.

grace said...

hope everything's a-okay, but kudos to you for taking steps to be prepared! i wouldn't mind being trapped in your house--i'm sure you're having feast after feast regardless of the frightful weather. :)

Anette said...

Hope Miss Irene will go easy on you!

Deana Sidney said...

I hope you stay well out there... we are getting the storm soon out NYC way... I have my fingers crossed. Made cherry pie to get me through the nervous times!
Petunia is agitated.

Sarah said...

A bread blanket, what a great idea! I hope the power stays on for you.

Linda said...

Stay dry and safe Thor! I think storm baking is always a good thing;))))

Big Dude said...

Your rolls always look so good - hope you made it thru the storm okay.

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Hello Marjie hoping you have had a lovely summer - I can't believe it is September already, so much has happened to us this year! Well little Luca arrived 11 days ago, so we are all getting to know each other and hoping we can retrieve Alfie from France in the next month or two to complete our family again. Hope you all stay safe in this terrible weather - xxx