Monday, August 1, 2011

Frozen Lemon Souffle

It's hot everywhere now. So I know you're all looking for a frozen dessert that's pretty easy and quite delectable. I have it for you. Best of all, it requires no cooking, not even the microwave. Now that is the perfect summer dessert!

I made a strawberry chiffon pie last Thursday night, and my grocery order arrived Friday, with its usual 15 dozen eggs. That led me to wonder if I could make so
me kind of frozen Lemon Chiffon dessert. After hunting around for a while, I found the basis for this in a cookbook I got at last spring's book sale, changed it up a bit, and served it to rave reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if there's clamoring for me to make it again in a day or 2.

FROZEN LEMON SOUFFLE

9 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1/4 tsp lemon extract
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp lemon extract

Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Add 1/4 tsp lemon extract and 1/4 cup sugar and beat until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside.

Beat the cream with the remaining lemon extract until stiff. Set aside


Beat the Egg yolks until they stat to thicken. Add the cup of sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat until thick and fluffy, and the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Beat in the lemon juice and zest. Beat the whipped cream into this mixture. Finally, gently whisk in the egg whites in 3 or 4 additions. Pour into a greased souffle dish, and freeze until solid. (The original recipe called for 4 hours, but I found it took about 6 hours to harden.)

If you like lemon, you will love this dessert. I'll be serving hubby the last of it tonight, and I promise you he'll be whining as if someone kicked him and his dog if I don't make more tomorrow!

Happy Monday, everyone!

15 comments:

Mary said...

What an awesome post to find in my reader this morning! Everyone is so hot these days, could this be more perfect?

Sue said...

That even looks cool and refreshing!

Big Dude said...

This sounds very refreshing Marjie

The Blonde Duck said...

My MIL would love this!

SissySees said...

The Knight and I debated sorbet last night. I'm not a fan; he is. But this? Ahhh... in a non-lemon flavor, so he'll eat it...

Sarah said...

Wow this is very rich. I am looking for easy and delicious recipes for a men's cooking class. This fits the bill.

Faye Lewis said...

Well, if you use the same topping recipe I know mine is a good one. Thank you for confirming!!!

~~louise~~ said...

Moments ago it stopped raining and I thought it would cool off for a bit, not so. Your lemon souffle sounds refreshingly perfect at the moment.

Thank you for sharing Marjie, (thank hubby too:)

The {{{hugs}}} were just what I needed from the east, thanks Marjie. Time.

Christo Gonzales said...

this is full on refreshment in a bowl - how many gallons of this did you have to make?

Two French Bulldogs said...

oh boy does that sound good!
Benny & Lily

Pam said...

I love lemon desserts... this one looks amazing Marjie. Great photos too!

Diane said...

I will certainly like this as I love lemon. Diane

Linda said...

Yikes.....NINE yolks?!! Sounds like it would be SO good!

grace said...

that's a lot of eggitude, but fortunately, the power of lemon is strong. this is an interesting and really appealing creation, marjie!

Lapdog Creations said...

yummy!