Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Apples and Earthquake

My apple trees are bearing some fruit!

So the apples aren't picture perfect; that's because we don't like to spray. But I have about a dozen trees of different varieties. I know you can already start to smell the applesauce and apple pies and apple upside down cake, and are getting jealous. After all, I'm hungry just thinking about them!

And there was an earthquake centered not too far from my friend Chan shortly before 2PM. I thought Thor was kicking my chair at first, and my dearly beloved told me to stop shaking the table before the boys came racing in from the family room to ask what was happening. Happily, this wasn't a serious earthquake, just enough to make everyone in this house with 18" thick masonry walls laugh at each other for wondering what happened. My daughter in Philadelphia said everyone evacuated the high rises there and just stood around in the park looking at each other. This is normal in the western US, I know, but it's a novelty here on the east coast.

Happy Tuesday, everyone; hope your house isn't shaking tonight!

18 comments:

Breezy Point Mom said...

Glad your experience of the earthquake was just a humorous event. It certainly has given us all something to talk about today!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Love that apple tree! Those earthquakes are nutty aren't they! We scream or sleep through them
Benny & Lily

Diane said...

Never the less it is not a nice feeling. When I first went to Johannesburg and felt my first tremor ever, I asked the head lad what was happening. He told me that God was angry and that he was shaking the earth!! Diane

Anonymous said...

I heard! And it wasn't a tiny one, either. A five-something is quite respectable, even out here.

Mary said...

Glad to hear that everything is ok. Poor Thor, getting the blame. Your apples look awesome. I dream of having apple trees!

The Blonde Duck said...

Flora will come back as an e-book. And I have a new story cooking. Just waiting until after labor day.

Big Dude said...

Looks like you'll have plenty of apple work to do.

Sarah said...

That would be an experience. Who would think, an earthquake? I am eying a neighbour's apple tree across the way. I think I can pick from the street!

Pam said...

Earthquakes are an experience aren't they? I grew up with apple trees and loved baking with the apples.

Mickle in NZ said...

I'm relived you all came through the quake okay - ones felt here when I'm in bed have me wondering "is Zebby Cat having a good scratch?".

Your apples look beautiful - hope the twirlywhirly apple peeler and slicer gubbins gets a good workout by the boys!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I would love fresh apples! Makes you wonder what's going on when events like this take place in the most unlikely places.

Linda said...

We have never experienced an earthquake here either.....and hope we NEVER do. My apples are getting ripe too.......I'm looking forward to a few new recipes.

SissySees said...

Gretchen missed her calling. She came out from under the covers and stood on my head - literally - a good 30 seconds or so before our 12:40 AM aftershock.

Sissy didn't even roll over. I think she picked her head up and glared because Gretchen and I were disturbing her...

violett said...

We have heard the news. Yes, it is probably unusual for the east coast.
Well, that is nothing more happens.

Sue said...

I guess an earthquake is one way to harvest the apples. I'm already starting to get my annual yen for apple pie.

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Thursday!

Gloria Baker said...

Im glad you are ok I know perfect what a earthquake means, here in Chile are absolutely strong, xxgloria

Derrick said...

Oh my god, there is really much useful information here!
site