Saturday, August 13, 2011

Book Review!



This book title sounds like it ought to be a Harlequin romance or something similar, but it isn't.

JOURNEY INTO FEAR
by Eric Ambler
copyright 1940

This is another title from the set of mysteries I've been reading. My pictures of the books are pretty boring, but all of them so far have been good.

It's 1940, World War II is getting wound up, and Graham, a 40 year old munitions engineer working for a major supplier to the British government, arrives in Turkey via steamer after assignment in Northern Africa, on his way home. Met at the dock by his usual contact, Graham and his contact spend an evening out dining, followed by a visit to a night club. Upon arrival in his hotel room, Graham finds himself the target of gunshots by an unknown assailant, who esca
pes down the fire escape. Calling his contact, Graham finds himself under the protection of the Turkish secret service. It turns out there's a contract on his life, placed by Germany, to stop him from helping the Turks gear up properly for the war. Graham's travel plans home are scuttled, replaced by another, secret, itinerary.

This was a short book, but fast paced and entertaining. It was entirely believable, a big plus in my opinion. Despite having been first published 70 years ago, the book is still available in paperback. Also, right now, there is an entire set of these mystery books listed on Amazon! (Just an aside in case you want 10 good books instead of one).


Hope you're all having a good weekend.

5 comments:

SissySees said...

Impressive that it is still in print. Must be a good read...

Dexter said...

Wish I had read this before my trip to the library this morning. I will put it on the list of things to check for next time.

Mango Momma

pam said...

I love old mysteries. I have a set I got at a garage sale and all of them have been great.

Pam said...

Sounds like a good one!

Sarah said...

I love those old war stories in exotic places.