Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Butterscotch Swirl Ice Cream

I'm a plain food kind of girl. Alway have been. But one thing I do love is butterscotch. So, after I made my new, wonderful French Vanilla ice cream, I thought I'd see about making Butterscotch Swirl, a close second on the favorites list. It turned out to be pretty easy: make butterscotch sauce and mix it into the ice cream. You've just got to love easy.

BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE


1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
dash of salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon juice


In a sauce pan, stir together the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt; heat to a simmer, and cook until the sugar is melted. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter until it melts, and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Makes about 2 cups, and can be used warm or cool.

BUTTERSCOTCH SWIRL ICE CREAM


1 recipe French Vanilla ice cream
1 recipe butterscotch sauce


Make the ice cream. When it's soft-set, drizzle the fully cooled butterscotch sauce over the ice cream and stir in. Note: this would work best with 3 hands, so you'll need a helper. Maybe it could be put in during the last minute that the ice cream processor is doing its thing, but I didn't try it. Freeze until the ice cream's firm.

Of course, you can drizzle still more butterscotch sauce over your ice cream for extra flavor!

8 comments:

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

This looks delicious!! I tried something like this with hot fudge last week (yes, I cooled it completely) but it was a disaster. You've inspired me to try again.

Benny and Lily said...

Oh that looks killer!!
Benny & Lily

The Blonde Duck said...

Sweet wounded wuffles.

Pam said...

My butterscotch loving husband would really dig this!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

You are making my mouth water, I love butterscotch! Diane

~~louise~~ said...

Just as I thought, delicious to see and I'm sure to enjoy also! I'm coming up by you for a "real" taste!!!

Thanks for sharing...

SissySees said...

If you heard a strange noise or two last night, I'm sure it was my father, looking for a bit of that. I might have to make some in his memory, even though I find butterscotch too sweet for my liking.

Baldwin said...

Thanks so much for this post, quite effective info.
furniture stores in orange county | divorce act | Caribbean real estate