Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Butterscotch Swirl Ice Cream

I'm a plain food kind of girl. Alway have been. But one thing I do love is butterscotch. So, after I made my new, wonderful French Vanilla ice cream, I thought I'd see about making Butterscotch Swirl, a close second on the favorites list. It turned out to be pretty easy: make butterscotch sauce and mix it into the ice cream. You've just got to love easy.

BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE


1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
dash of salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon juice


In a sauce pan, stir together the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt; heat to a simmer, and cook until the sugar is melted. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter until it melts, and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Makes about 2 cups, and can be used warm or cool.

BUTTERSCOTCH SWIRL ICE CREAM


1 recipe French Vanilla ice cream
1 recipe butterscotch sauce


Make the ice cream. When it's soft-set, drizzle the fully cooled butterscotch sauce over the ice cream and stir in. Note: this would work best with 3 hands, so you'll need a helper. Maybe it could be put in during the last minute that the ice cream processor is doing its thing, but I didn't try it. Freeze until the ice cream's firm.

Of course, you can drizzle still more butterscotch sauce over your ice cream for extra flavor!

8 comments:

Mary said...

This looks delicious!! I tried something like this with hot fudge last week (yes, I cooled it completely) but it was a disaster. You've inspired me to try again.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh that looks killer!!
Benny & Lily

The Blonde Duck said...

Sweet wounded wuffles.

Pam said...

My butterscotch loving husband would really dig this!

Diane said...

You are making my mouth water, I love butterscotch! Diane

~~louise~~ said...

Just as I thought, delicious to see and I'm sure to enjoy also! I'm coming up by you for a "real" taste!!!

Thanks for sharing...

SissySees said...

If you heard a strange noise or two last night, I'm sure it was my father, looking for a bit of that. I might have to make some in his memory, even though I find butterscotch too sweet for my liking.

Baldwin said...

Thanks so much for this post, quite effective info.
furniture stores in orange county | divorce act | Caribbean real estate