Saturday, June 28, 2008

Strawberry Sour Cream Bread

All of my strawberries are gone. Well, sort of. I froze about 30 pounds of them (3 baskets), laying them carefully in single layers on waxed paper on cookie sheets, then using the waxed paper to pour them into ziploc freezer bags. The girls boo-hooed about it when I started the day we got the strawberries, but since everyone except me was sort of berried-out by Friday, it's good that I started then. Plus, I now have 24 beautiful freezer bags of these lovely, red gems.

Anyway, last night, I decided to move some of the somewhat overripe strawberries into use. To that end, Kevin was very handy. On his blog, I found this recipe, which I present without further ado.

STRAWBERRY SOUR CREAM BREAD

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
2 cups strawberries, cut in half (fresh or frozen work fine)


Cream butter with sugar until light; add the eggs one at a time, combining well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla.

Sift together the flour, powder, soda, salt & cinnamon. Beat half into the butter mixture, then beat in the sour cream, followed by the balance of the flour mixture. Batter will be creamy, more the texture of pound cake than of nut bread. Stir in the nuts, then gently stir in the strawberries. Turn into a greased and floured 9"x5" loaf pan, and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 60 to 70 minutes. Makes one delectable loaf.
Mine must have lasted a good 12 to 14 minutes (and only 6 people were home at the time). This was so moist we could have eaten it with a spoon. If only it had lasted longer.....I think the girls and little boys need to go back to the strawberry farm tomorrow or Monday....

2 comments:

Paula said...

This looks so good! By the way, I mentioned to my hubby that I told you that if he went out there, he'd never return because of all the great bread, meals, and desserts you prepare daily. His response was, "Oh yeah, I'll go. I'll work for food." *sigh* I knew that would happen!

test it comm said...

Your strawberry bread looks really good!