Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Cookbook Wednesday: Cookie Love

For all the years my kids were growing up, I rarely made cookies.  They are a lot of work, and don't last long with 6 (or even 4) sons clamoring for cookies.  I did teach the girls to bake, however, and to read a recipe, and they took up making cookies on Sunday mornings before I got up, starting when they were in middle school.  Their go-to repertoire was chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies: admirable choices.

So, recently I got the opportunity to review this cookbook, which seems very appropriate for Cookbook Wednesday:

COOKIE LOVE
by Mindy Segal

This is a beautiful hardcovered book.  The author explains that she is dyslexic, and has trouble reading recipes correctly, and so developed a love of baking cookies, often creating her own recipes.  She explains the basics - various ingredients, their use, and even where to get hard to find items.
 She includes recipes for 8 categories of cookies, including drop cookies, shortbread, sandwich cookies, egg white cookies, spritz and thumbprints, twice baked cookies, Rugelach and bar cookies.
 And every page has pretty pictures for inspiration.
 Sandwich cookies include Ice Cream Sandwich cookies, of course.  She also includes recipes for any special sauces or fillers you need to make for your cookies.
 We've all had thumbprint cookies, but how about Pecan Praline Thumbprints?  I want them.  Now.
 Rugelach look very complex in the bakery, but she makes it look almost easy.  Again, she includes recipes for the fillings.
 Her instructions are very long and detailed.  It does make it seem a little daunting to make most of these cookies.  Still, I think that (if you're me) you should be able to scan the ingredients and procedure, then do your own thing, so you're not scared off by the 2 pages of instruction for each cookie.
 The one thing I didn't like about this cookbook is that the typeface is on the small side.  That makes it hard for not-so-young eyes to read the recipes very well.

Overall, however, this is a very well organized book.  I enjoyed reading it, and look forward to making small batches of cookies for my dearly beloved and my youngest son.  4/5

Note: I received this book from Blogging for Books.  All opinions are my own.

This is my entry for Cookbook Wednesday, usually hosted by the lovely Louise, who is on hiatus.  Leave me a note to be linked up!

Edited to add:

Nellie's Junior Cookbook! Classic Red Plaid Cookbook for kids!

Poppy's Brain Oysters and Frozen Whale!  Trust me, you have to read her words.

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

11 comments:

grace said...

i've been eyeing this book--it sounds great! i do love me some cookies. :)

Lapdog Creations said...

Great title - after all, what's NOT to love about cookies?

Sue said...

I really like cookies and I love pretty cookie cookbooks, but I agree, they are a pain to make. I usually get tired of them before they're finished. So I tend to make cookies in a pan, them just cut them into pieces instead of dropping or rolling. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Poppy Crocker said...

That looks like a fun book! I only really make cookies once or twice a year now, but I used to make them every week when I was a teenager.

Thanks for the link!

Debbie said...

I am glad you are keeping Cookbook Wednesday alive for now. I will be sure and link up next week.
Love the cookie cookbook.

Nellie said...

I've not met a cookie I didn't love!:) We've baked many, many cookies through the years. Thank you for linking me up to Cookbook Wednesday.

Pam said...

I love baking cookies for my kids and they love it too! I think the book looks excellent - I love that there are pictures with every recipe. The small print is a bummer.

Rhodesia said...

Dyslexic and writing a book is quite a feat on its own. We do not eat many cakes or cookies! Small print is definitely becoming a problem as we get older. I am sure they never used to print things so small!! Hope you are al well Diane

Anonymous said...

Tell me how if fares on the Mark Scale.

SissySees said...

It looks lovely. I am looking forward to hosting a friend's baby shower and planning the menu! Cookies will definitely play a part.

~~louise~~ said...

Sounds like a book worth contemplating, Marjie. I really wish publishers would consider "not so young eyes" when publishing though. I guess I should just learn to keep my glasses on but I just can't get use to it. One of these days I'm going to make me one of those beaded eye glass holders, lol...

I'm intrigued my the egg white section. I could find myself buying this book just for that section, lol...

Thank you so much for sharing, Marjie and thank you for keeping Cookbook Wednesday alive:) I'll be doing a "life" update in a week or so. I really really appreciate you keeping the candle lit. Thank YOU!!!