Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sour Milk Baguettes

Yes, I'm getting all fancy in my terminology, here. Baguettes, indeed.

After my milk had truly gone sour, as opposed to Patrick simply announcing it would be "rotten tomorrow", I used it in a variety of wonderful ways. One of those was this bread. It has a sour overtone reminiscent of sourdough bread, but without the waiting for the starter. That's a plus in my book. And while the dough was very stiff, and the crust very dark, the bread was absurdly soft. It was so soft, in fact, that I couldn't cut it while it was hot, because the knife crushed it. But here we are, two batches later, and it gets entirely consumed every time!


SOUR MILK BREAD

1-1/2 cups sour milk, heated to about 110F
6 tsp yeast
4 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt

4 tsp gluten

Add the yeast to the milk, add the remainder of the ingredients, and mix according to your bread machine's directions, or using my directions to the right. After the dough has been thoroughly mixed, let it rise 15 to 20 minutes, punch it down, and form 2 long or 3 short baguettes. Let it rise again until doubled in size, bake at 375F for 17 to 18 minutes, and let the loaves cool for a while before you cut them.

This bread also makes an excellent sandwich or toast!

Still to come: Red Devils Food Cake. Great stuff. But, tomorrow's Thorsday! You'll have to wait till Friday for cake.

7 comments:

SissySees said...

Who knew sour milk could be so useful and tasty?!

buffalodick said...

I use more sour cream than ever..

The Blonde Duck said...

I didn't know you could cook w/ sour milk. How cool!

Linda said...

Now to be sure.....is it sour milk or can you use rotten milk:)

~~louise~~ said...

I'm telling you, Marjie, there's a book in the making right before our eyes!!! The Rotten Milk Cookbook!!! Glorious Bread:)

George Gaston said...

Marji, you have a terrific blog here. Looks like there is never a "dull" moment around your house, but it sure looks like a great place to call home. Your Sour Milk Baguette has a great texture and crusty crust, can't get any better that that.

So, you lived in Danbury; I was just over the ridge from the airport & mall on the Danbury, North Salem (NY) and Ridgefield border. Just north of the Ridgefield High School. I really miss that area, but not the snowy winters. So, I head south & my roots.

I look forward to reading more about what is happening around your place & in your kitchen. Take care...

tavolini said...

oooooooh that looks delicious! My baguettes never get crusty enough for my liking...I think I'll try your cooking times.