Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Fish and Christmas Rice

No need to get excited here. This is not named for the holiday, but for the color.

I was looking for a way to dress up a monotone, nutritious but visibly boring dinner. This is the result.

1 pound white fish
1 cup rice
1 tsp salt

2 cups water
1 pound fresh or frozen spinach
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp butter

Start the rice with the water and 1 tsp salt. About 5 minutes before the rice is done, add half the spinach and half the tomatoes; stir in 2 tbsp of the butter when it's done. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter in a skillet, and cook the fish over medium heat with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. When the fish is finished, remove it to a plate and cover with the pan's lid. Add the cream to the skillet, whisk the milk with the cornstarch, and whisk into the skillet. Cook until it starts to thicken, then add half the spinach and half the tomatoes. Add the fish back to the pan and heat briefly. Serve immediately, topping with grated parmesan if desired.

12 comments:

Anette said...

It went well with the colors! But what did the the picky eater say about all the scary colors??

SissySees said...

Yum! The girls and I would eat that...

Kapitein Haakje said...

yummmmmmmmmy!
that looks good

kissslobbers

El'bow & Hauwii

buffalodick said...

I'm in! I like fish, anytime, anywhere!

Anonymous said...

I'd like it......and we can get all the Whitefish we want around these parts.

noble pig said...

It loks beautiful, I would say you dressed it perfectly.

Life With Dogs said...

If my wife didn't hate fish I'd make this in a second!

Pam said...

Yum. Healthy, colorful and delicious - nicely done Marjie.

pam said...

I made something the other day that was all red and green and I was thinking of how it would be a perfect Christmas dish.

Christo Gonzales said...

I love dishes like these that all come together in (almost) one pot - this looks tasty to me!

Mickle in NZ said...

Mmmmmm, and so easily scaled down to a Mickle sized serving. I'd have to buy more than a Mickle portion of fish though to keep the peace with Zebby!

tavolini said...

Pretty colors--I like that this is healthy and tasty, too :)