Friday, December 18, 2009

Red Devil's Food Cake

This is my final entry in "The Week of Rotten Milk!" OK, I know the milk wasn't rotten, because I can smell it going bad 2 days before anyone else can, but it's so much more fun to call it "rotten" than "sour", isn't it?

I made this cake Sunday night, and it was gone as soon as Dan got here Monday. Yep, that's right, he ate 1/4 of the cake as soon as he found it. That was BEFORE he sa
t down to his roast chicken dinner. Yes, it was that good.

McCalls Red Devils Food Cake

1-3/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1-1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup sour milk
2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat in the margarine and milk until combined; beat 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat another 2 minutes. Bake in eith
er 2 layer pans, or, as I chose to do, in a 9x13" pan at 350F. 35 minutes for the sheet pan (sorry, I can't help with the time for layer cakes). Frost and serve.

This is what was left of the cake by the time Dan had been here half an hour. It's hard to tell, but the cake is the color of the patent leather on these adorable new shoes Thor made me order from Target. (It's absurdly hard to take a decent picture of your own foot, too).

Patrick is an enormous fan of chocolate cakes, so this is his birthday cake for tonight. Hard to believe my second son is 25 today! How did they get so old, when I'm pretty sure I'm not that old yet?

13 comments:

buffalodick said...

They grow up fast... Happy Birthday to him!

Sue said...

Isn't it amazing how they grow older so much faster than we do? The cake looks delicious and I guess Dan would agree.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Isn't it funnt how the kids get older and parents get younger?

Very cute shoes!

SissySees said...

Cake? I'm still trying to figure out how to get Thor to shoe shop for me. I'm almost always a 6.5, but when in doubt, round up. Shall I call with a credit card number for Thor to keep on hand?

George Gaston said...

Marji... The devil in me is going to ask, "Where is my piece?"

This looks so good, but I would want a glass of "fresh" milk to go along with it!

Thanks for the great recipe, I am definitely be making this awesome cake.

pam said...

Thor has such good taste in shoes.

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy birthday to your son! I like your shoes!

Pam said...

The cake looks delicous and moist. I am loving the cute new shoes - good pick Thor.

Happy b-day to your son, time flies.

Anonymous said...

Just what I need, cake on my hinney:( I LOVE the shoes Thor MADE you buy!

Claire S. said...

Happy birthday to Patrick - his cake looks yummy !

Thor's got some good taste in shoes, maybe he can pick some for me ?

Anonymous said...

nothing like the ties that bind

blessings :)
gp

Al Penwasser said...

Like cookies, there's no such thing as a bad piece of cake.

tavolini said...

Thor has such good taste in footwear!

Happy birthday to your son and that cake looks DELICIOUS!