Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thorsday Book Review

I happened upon this book for the Kindle a while back, and just got around to reading it.  It was also a big movie a number of years back, and I have some comments about that, too.

INDECENT PROPOSAL
by Jack Englehard
copyright 1988

Joshua Cantor is a speech writer for what's described as a "corrupt corporation" in the Philadelphia area, married to the gorgeous blond Joan, whose wealthy father comes from the Main Line.  Because he doesn't make a huge living, Josh goes to Atlantic City frequently to try to win big.  On one such trip, he meets Ibrahim Hassan, a wealthy man from some Arab nation or other, who gambles tens of thousands of dollars or more at a clip; Ibrahim decides that Josh is lucky for him, because whenever Josh is around, Ibrahim wins.  Upon meeting Joan, Ibrahim wants to spend a night with her, and is willing to pay them a million dollars for the privilege.

While well written and concise, I found the book distasteful on a number of levels.  First, while I understand that some folks enjoy games of chance, I despise anyone who gambles thinking that he will win enough to change his life if he just stays at it long enough.  Get out there and get a better job, you bum!  I also don't understand a husband even bringing the "indecent proposal" to his wife.

I don't recall the movie making clear that Josh was trying to augment his income to what he thought his wife "deserved" by gambling, but I do recall that the indecent proposal was made by Robert Redford for Demi Moore.  I really didn't understand that at all, because Redford was a very handsome man, and pretty brunettes are all over the place.  So why did he need to pay for one?  At least in the book, the wealthy man was an Arab sheik, for whom gorgeous blondes were nonexistant, so his offer to pay for one, in particular the wife of someone he deemed a "lucky" person, made limited sense.

Still and all, while the book was well written, I didn't much like it.  2.5/5

Maybe a happier review next week!


12 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for this review. I know to steer clear. Your taste seems to be pretty much the same as mine it seems. Diane

Lapdog Creations said...

Happy Snowy Thorsday!

Blond Duck said...

I trust your judgement!

gMarie said...

I always disliked the premise of the movie, although I have never read the book and wouldn't because of the movie - backwards, I know.

g

kathy b said...

WEll You image of the snow is great even if the book was not

Claire S. said...

Not a movie I had any interest in seeing, but I don't think I ever knew it was based on a book. This won't make it to my 'must read' list.

Pam said...

I am with you. Although I have never read the book the movie turned me off. A good man/husband would NEVER consider the offer.

Anonymous said...

You are so right -- that movie was so ridiculous I laughed straight through it.

SissySees said...

Haven't seen the movie and didn't remember it until you named the cast. Won't read the book either.

Next? ;)

John Evans said...

Thanks for the heads-up. Sometimes, "well written" doesn't save the day.

Sue said...

I didn't see the movie. It didn't sound like something I'd like and I'll pass on the book, too. There are too many good reads to waste time with a bad one.

Dexter said...

I thought the movie was pretty good. It raised some interesting questions. Primarily, does everybody have a price? At what point do people's values start to crumble? And then, how do they deal with the consequences. But I think I'll pass on the book.

Mango Momma