Saturday, February 9, 2013

January Sewing

In January, I continued working on that giant heap of velour which found its way to my house in November or so.

I signed up for a service called Acorn TV - British TV, streaming over the computer, for $30 per year - and bought myself a HDMI cable so I can hook the laptop to the TV.  It sounds like I actually know what I'm doing, doesn't it?  Anyway, Acorn is for those of us who love Masterpiece Theatre and the like.  So, I was watching a Midsomer Murder a while back, and they had a singer in a 1940s style club wearing a dress with a lovely scalloped neckline.  This dress, made from New Look 6567, likely purchased around 1995, was close to it.  It took a few alterations, and I thought the definition of the neckline would be greater than it is, but I do like it overall.  I'm thinking I might try this pattern again soon, because I do love princess seamed dresses.



Back in December, I made a dress and jacket from a blue and purple velour.  Well, the velour was neither very heavy nor very soft, but the pattern was interesting.  So I turned it into a variation of New Look 6015, which I've made before.  I like the ties at the neck.  It's worn with a winter white stretch knit elastic waisted skirt, adapted from McCall's M3341.

Last is this dress made from Vogue pattern 9771, which I lengthened to have an a-line skirt.  This is "heathered yellow" velour, pretty heavy weight, warm and soft.  I have not worn it yet, because I think it needs a black belt.  Note to self: "heathered" means spotty gray, which is a look with which I'm not terribly enamored.  Try to avoid that again.

This weekend, I'm working on a pink velour wardrobe, but a cold is catching up with me, and I might just spend much of my time snoozing.  Hope you're all feeling much better than I am!

13 comments:

gMarie said...

The fabric on that last dress looks very interesting. And i love that little top with the tie! I need to head downstairs and sew - quick! g

kathy b said...

I hope you feel better fast. with that big family of yours, you probably don't get much recovery time

Anonymous said...

I have great faith in your family -- if you're under the weather, they wait on you hand and foot.

Claire S. said...

Hope the cold doesn't take hold, they're just nasty! I always like your dresses but the middle pic of top and skirt is really cute :-)

Faye Lewis said...

Yes, please feel better in a hurry. You have been extremely busy pumping out all those style. And Yes, you do look good in princess seams. BTW where do you find your nice velour? I can only find pieces that are iridescent or sparkly in my area.

pam said...

Hope you feel better. I love the neckline on the first dress. And the tv station sounds wonderful, I long for something else in addition to Downton Abbey.

Sarah said...

I have a killer of a cold. I held it off until second week of January then it hit hard. Last week I felt I was closing in on it and WHAM, it is back with a vengeance. I have been sick since about Christmas! Being sick is boring! Hope you are feeling better.

Diane said...

I have still done little sewing despite having a room to myself now. I really must get going, but I also have a canvas ready for painting which I want to do as well so......
Have a good day Diane

Sue said...

I like that soft neckline in the first photo. The yellow velour comes across as winter white on my screen, but I know what you mean about the heater effect.

We haven't had much need for winter clothes here this year. I love velour and soft wools and flannel. I think I need to move to New England.

Linda said...

You make me want to go out and buy a pattern and try my hand at sewing again.

Lapdog Creations said...

Nice creations! I esp love that last dress.

Blond Duck said...

I can't wait to see the pink velour!

Pam said...

I love the dresses and the violet top is really pretty too. Wish I could sew like you!