Friday, February 1, 2013

Roast Turkey Breast

It's been a busy day today, and I'm all out of inspiration.  So I thought I'd show you what every Sunday night dinner looks like hereabouts.

ROAST TURKEY BREAST

Turkey Breast (bone-in or boneless)
1 onion
1 carrot
olive oil
salt
garlic powder
basil

Chop the onion and carrot in eighths.  Whether boneless or not, salt the bottom only of the turkey.  Tuck some of the veggies under the skin, and put the rest under the turkey breast or in the cavity.  Rub the upper part of the turkey with olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic powder and basil.  Pour about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the roasting pan, then roast at 350F in a conventional oven or 325F in a convection oven, until the turkey is done (165F on a meat thermometer).  Let it sit 15 minutes before slicing.



For gravy, dump a goodly handful of ice cubes in the pan drippings, stir to collect the fat, and scoop the fat and ice out of the pan.  Add 1 chicken bouillon cube and 1/2 cup water, and heat to a simmer.  Mix 1/2 cup cold water with 2 tbsp cornstarch, whisk until smooth, and whisk into the pan drippings.  Add a bit more water, if the gravy is too thick.

Here's how I served it:

Hope you all have a great weekend!

11 comments:

gMarie said...

while I'm not a fan of turkey - I do like a nice turkey breast and now that Jay has figured out how yummy it is smoked - well I may never have to roast one again! g

SissySees said...

Smoked turkey, yes. Otherwise... I'll just eat more of everything else. Soooo not a poultry girl.

Blond Duck said...

Can I come over Sunday?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I had a convection oven. (I'm always envying your appliances, aren't I?) But this sounds quite easy so will give it a try.

kathy b said...

MMMMM I Love tureky That looks wonderful!!!

Sarah said...

I have never cooked a turkey breast. I didn't know you could get it 'bone in'. Sounds great. I like your trick with the ice. It is brilliant.

grace said...

what a FINE plate of food! (incidentally, i like the plate itself, too.) :)

Lapdog Creations said...

Looks delish!

Diane said...

I have to admit that I am not a fan of turkey breast, I will go for the dark meat in preference any day. Seeing gMarie's comment though I might just buy a breast and smoke it at home to see if it changes my mind :-) Keep well Diane

Pam said...

Yum! What a delicious Sunday dinner. I love your ice trick to remove the fat from the gravy drippings - you are so smart!

Blond Duck said...

Happy Monday!