Monday, February 18, 2013

Cape Cod Cranberry Pie

Have you ever been to Cape Cod?  I haven't.  Oh, it sounds very appealing, wide beaches, small towns, sunshine that's not too hot for my ghost-white skin, all of that.  But I've been an avid map reader since I was 9 years old.  Long before I could drive, my parents had friends who moved up to North Attleboro (Patriots Stadium was sort of in their back yard, by which I mean through the woods for a mile, maybe less), and I thought the traffic was insane.  So, when I was about 15, I studied a map I'd gotten from a gas station in Massachusetts, and discovered that there was one road into Cape Cod.  I decided then and there that I'd never be going to Cape Cod; not for me to sit in traffic jams.  Anyway.....

I found this in my New York Times Heritage Cookbook.  We love cranberries hereabouts, and so I decided to give this a whirl, with a couple of minor changes.

CAPE COD CRANBERRY PIE

2 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
2 eggs, beaten, or 1/2 cup egg beaters
1 cup flour
1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
1/4 cup melted shortening
1 cup sugar

In a well greased 10" pie plate, spread out the cranberries.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar over them, then sprinkle the nuts and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over them.  Lightly beat the eggs or egg beaters, then add the sugar and beat until combined.  Add the flour, margarine and shortening, beat until smooth, and pour over the cranberries.  Bake for about 1 hour at 325F.  Serve warm or cooled with whipped cream.

The boys liked this; the cranberries were tart, a nice contrast with the whipped cream, and Dan didn't even complain much about the nuts.  It's actually much more like a cake than pie.  I think next time, I'll put half of the batter on the bottom, followed by the cranberries and nuts, and the remaining batter on the top.  I know there will be a next time; my dearly beloved will request it.

Hope you all had a nice weekend!

7 comments:

SissySees said...

Oh that sounds right up my alley. I love cranberries!

Dexter said...

I've been to the Cape plenty of times. Off season is the time to go. I, too hate the traffic, but that one little road along the coast can be very pretty and the cranberry bogs are way cool.

Mango Momma

Two French Bulldogs said...

You sure are talented!
Benny & Lily

Blond Duck said...

I would adore this pie. And your V-day flowers were gorgeous!

Pam said...

I like that you read maps... I am so very directionally impaired and I rely on my GPS way too much.

The pie looks tasty. I think doing half batter, cranberries, and remaining batter sounds like a great idea!

gemma said...

We have two roads now... 2 bridges and even so...tons of traffic. I live in Harwich Port -- take a drive and come see me. Come in April -- very little traffic but loads and loads of daffodils.

Big Dude said...

The pie sounds delicious Marjie. I'm also an avid map reader and often look up places I read or hear about in the paper and on TV.