Friday, February 8, 2013

Carrot Cake

The last time the boys went for milk, Ryan came back with the biggest sack of carrots he could find, plopped them in front of me, and demanded carrot cake.  Soon.  I complied.

CARROT CAKE

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup egg beaters (or 4 eggs)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups finely shredded carrot (I used 5 big ones)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Put all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, and stir together with a wire whisk: this sifts them together with much less trouble than using the actual sifter.  Add the oil, vanilla and egg beaters (or eggs, if no one in you house counts cholesterol), beat at low speed until combined, and then for about 2 minutes on medium speed, until smooth.  Stir in the walnuts and shredded carrot.  Pour into a greased 9x12 pan (my choice), or two layer pans (traditional).  Bake at 350F 42 to 45 minutes for the sheet cake, or 30 to 35 minutes for the layers.  Frost with cream cheese frosting (8 ounces cream cheese, regular or low fat, 1 pound confectioner's sugar and 2 tsp vanilla extract, beaten until smooth: it is much softer than regular buttercream frosting).

I always prefer making a sheet cake, so I eschewed the traditional carrot cake look, and while Ryan howled that it didn't look right, here's what was left the next morning (which was a snow day):

That's right; the poor cake never even got to have a nice picture taken (not that my hordes often let me take nice pictures of food)!

As to the monster storm threatening the northeast, well, "everyone in school" said today would be a day off, and the teachers even warned the kids to take their books home to study for midterms over the weekend.  There's not a school within 40 miles of me that closed or even delayed.  And the sun looked like it might come out a few minutes ago.  But I have a goodly stock of food, and I even have electricity now, so I'm not afraid.  But I doubt it will be a "monster storm of historic proportions" nonetheless.

Happy weekending, everyone!

11 comments:

kathy b said...

mmmmm the frosting looks amazing and the cake does too!!

kathy b said...

mmmmm the frosting looks amazing and the cake does too!!

SissySees said...

The Knight loves carrot cake. Might have to try this recipe this weekend. I haven't made one in AGES.

gMarie said...

I love carrot cake - makes you feel a bit virtuous eating cake, eh? While it may not have looked right - it obviously tasted just fine! g

Unknown said...

that cake NEVER had a chance! If I bring you a bag of carrots can you make me one too??

Linda said...

That's a favorite around here.....only mine HAS to have plump raisins.

Big Dude said...

I haven't this in years - looks very good

Sue said...

I don't like vegetables in cake or pie. I'm probably the only person in the world who dislikes pumpkin pie and carrot cake and cheesecake.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, we just saw on the news that some huge storms had hit but don't know if it's near you or not. The carrot cake looked fab. Can't believe there was any left the next day hehe! Take care. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Claire S. said...

I can't remember ever making a carrot cake ! It may have just moved to the top of the queue though - yours looks GOOD - and exactly right, Mom always made hers in a 9x13 pan

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh how I love a good carrot cake! mmmmm