Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Menu

I know you've all been waiting to see just what this crazy lady is planning to cook for Thursday. So, here it is, in all its splendor and insanity!

2 Fresh turkeys, 20-22 pounds each, from a local farm
bread stuffing (for the vegetarian)

sausage stuffing (brought by our friend Greg)
Mashed potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes (my favorite)
Steamed green beans

Steamed broccoli
Creamed corn
Pizza tomatoes
Jellied cranberry sauce
Whole cranberry sauce

Herb rolls
Rich white bread (cool rise style)

Michelle's Oat bread

Desserts:
2 pumpkin pies
Lemon Meringue pie
Apple pie
Chocolate cream pie
Banana cake

Chocolate cake

Miscellaneous:
Cranberry orange bread
Banana bread


Last summer's bride often brings a delectable dessert, so that may change my dessert plans somewhat. They'll probably call in a day or 2 to let me know.


I plan to have the guys bring in my homework room table, to be put at a 90 degree angle to the main table, to be sure there's enough seating, sort of like this from 2005. Of course, that means I won't be the only person seated at the foot of the table, but so what?

And, next, for Chan, here's the recipe for the sweet potato bread I made yesterday:

SWEET POTATO BREAD
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 to 1-1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes (approx)
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Stir the dry ingredients except the walnuts together in a mixing bowl. Add the sweet potatoes and all of the wet ingredients, and mix well. Stir in the walnuts and pour into one greased 9"x5" loaf pan, or two greased 8"x4" loaf pans. Bake 55 to 65 minutes for the large loaf or 40 to 45 minutes for the smaller loaf. As with the majority of the female population of the world, my weight watching makes me prefer the smaller loaves; since they're smaller slices, I eat less, and feel less guilty. The guys will just have to work harder at stuffing their faces.

And, last, here's a picture of my finished dress, hanging in my office, waiting for the big day:

Ryan commented that it's very shiny, and I'll need to work hard to avoid crows and magpies, who love shiny things. Wise guy.

18 comments:

Dexter said...

Crows and magpies. I like that Ryan dude. Hey! I totally had to scroll through the whole post really fast. You are killing me with the foodables.

Master says he has Thanksgiving in hand and momma only needs to do the housework. Oh man. We shall see.

Hey! Can't wait to see your mom in her new dress. It is beautiful even on the hanger.

Slobbers,
Mango

pam said...

Can I come over? With your crowd, you won't even notice little ole me.

Love the dress! Magpies indeed.

Big Dude said...

Looks like a great feast.

Christo Gonzales said...

WOW! and you finished the dress - bravo!

SissySees said...

Oh, thank you! I might have to make that this week. The dress is stunning! We still haven't decided where we're going for Thanksgiving, so I don't know what I'll make yet.

Ann Made Studio said...

Pretty dress and very impressive menu and table!

Linda said...

I think there is just enough room for me in the far corner.

Anonymous said...

I'll sit on Linda's lap, just to taste turkey from a local farm.

Diane said...

Reading this first thing in the morning is not a good idea. I am going to be hungry now for the rest of the day!!! Love the sound of that sweet potato bread. Diane

Mickle in NZ said...

Another beautiful dress - I really like the deep ruffle on the skirt.

And another amazing Thanksgiving menu. i hope all goes well with your "Operation Refrigerators" today,
xx from me and zzzzzzzzzzzzz from the lad

Joanne said...

I love seeing what everyone else is cooking! It's some weird kind of voyeurism I guess. Everything sounds delicious!

Dawn said...

Beautiful dress! I think I gained weight reading all the yummy stuff you're having! mmmmmmm I love sweet potatos and that bread sounds so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't believe you're doing so much cooking! You are a force to be reckoned with. =) It all looks amazing.
Love the sparkles on the dress!

Pam said...

What a feast you are having!

The dress is beautiful... I bet you look stunning in it.

grace said...

so...what time do we eat? :)
the dress looks great, by the way. sewing something wearable seems to be an unreachable goal for me...

Lapdog Creations said...

Delish!!! What a menu..... I still can't get over how much food you go through and the 2 fridges!

Lapdog Creations said...

Delish!!! What a menu..... I still can't get over how much food you go through and the 2 fridges!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Wowzer Marjie that is some cooking there - it all looks fabulous and I have of course got my eye on all those gorgeous desserts! Lots of love to you and your family for Thanksgiving - hope you all have a fabulous day xxx