Saturday, November 27, 2010

And So, The Season Begins!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Ours was the typical circus, loud and cheerful. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Thor sat off to the side during food preparation (please don't notice the dirt on the floor from the 44 feet that had been marching over it). I don't know what he thought he would do with potato peelings, but in a mastiff, hope springs eternal.

Question: What kind of people does it take to set up a table for 20, when the old, cranky, experienced people arranger refuses to get involved?


Answer: One Mechanical Engineer to design table layout, one lawyer to negotiate seating arrangements, two business majors to cheerfully allocate plates and cutlery, and a nursing student to make sure they don't hurt each other.

Everyone has to gather for the annual photo before they eat, and generally 10 to 15 attempts are required. It's the price of admission here. We had a Chinese student who had interned for Greg's son last year join the festivities. It was her first Thanksgiving.

Everyone sat at their designated places, and ate plenty.

As always, Thor's hope springs eternal.
And as a surprise, Summer, the Chinese girl, was an accomplished pianist. I was delighted to learn that my piano actually works well, and she said it doesn't appear to be badly in need of tuning. I guess my 1947 grand piano is indeed the workhorse I'd hoped it would be!

Hope you're all having a good weekend. See you again soon.

12 comments:

Diane said...

It looks like you had an amazing time. I am sure Thor did well out of the turkey somtime during the day :-) Have a great weekend. Diane

Big Dude said...

What a great get together and great that so many are available to be there - besides all of the red heads, which ones are your kids?

Christo Gonzales said...

Happy "season" to beautiful you and your beautiful family...its been a real pleasure getting to know you through the blog world - you have added to my life even if it is only virtual.

Dexter said...

That sparkly dress came out great. Frankly, having been locked in the house away from the foodables during our Thanksgiving, I would have liked more food photos. But, like Thor, I suppose I will suffer with whatever falls on the floor. Boo hoo.

Slobbers,
Mango

Sue said...

I remember and sometimes miss those huge family holidays. At other times it seems perfect with just the two of us and a bunch of furry creatures.

grace said...

and i thought my crowd was big! you continue to amaze me, marjie, as sometimes i find it daunting to simply feed my own self. :)

Anonymous said...

What a handsome, healthy, happy group of people. I'll remember the formula next time: lawyer, doctor, engineer, nurse.

Gorgeous, sparkly (is that a word?) dress.

gMarie said...

I'm glad your holiday was a good one. Hope to join the annual photo one year soon. :) g

Anonymous said...

Beautiful family!

SissySees said...

Lovely!! We were all of 10 for Thanksgiving, but 3 of us ate at the bar in the kitchen.

Thor is so lovely. If only I knew how to use my built in camera on my laptop, I'd snap a photo of the Knight on the loveseat, with two fur-girls perched upon him.

monica said...

regards from Bundy saying potatoe peels are excellent snacks :o) what a feast y'all had!

Unknown said...

Oh - that was a wonderful post! I could feel all the love and laughter just coming out of the pictures. Can't imagine what a great party it must have been!

Hsin-Yi
ps. your new header picture has me drooling!!